Crime log: Laundry room quarter theft foiled, billiard balls stolen

The following summary includes a selection of major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between Oct. 6 and Oct. 27. It does not include general service and alarm calls. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring off campus. DPS does not divulge information on cases that are currently under investigation by the department, PPD or the Office of Student Life. DPS maintains a daily log of all shift activity and general service calls, which can be viewed during business hours at its headquarters, located at 75 Charlesfield St.

Oct. 19

1:22 p.m. An athletics employee reported a laptop, projector, projection screen and carrying bag stolen. The items were last seen at Marvel Field during an awards ceremony for former Brown University lacrosse players Sept. 25. A check was made of the film room located on the second floor of the Pizzitola Sports Center, but the missing equipment was not located.

Oct. 22

1:11 p.m. A custodian stated he witnessed a Brown student attempting to break into the washing machine in the Perkins Hall laundry room with a butter knife. The student admitted to the officer that she was attempting to break into the washer with a butter knife to take quarters to do her wash. A check of the coin box was made and no damage was observed. The case has been turned over to the Office of Student Life.

7:26 p.m. A student stated that she was in the female bathroom in Archibald House taking a shower and had her room key and bathroom key on the sink. She heard someone enter the bathroom and use the sink. When the person left, they turned the lights off. The victim got out of the shower and noticed that her keys were missing.

Oct. 24

2:24 p.m. A Brown Police officer was dispatched to meet with a Brown student cashier at the Campus Market. The student stated that at about 2:20 p.m., a Brown student's parent requested billiard balls from him. He informed the parent that the game balls are kept inside the pool table. The game balls from both tables were not located in or around the pool tables. The manager of the Campus Market arrived on scene at about 2:35 p.m. and stated that between noon and 12:30 p.m., he observed a student and parent playing pool at the east table. The case is under investigation.

Oct. 26

11:12 a.m. A student reported that he had locked his mountain bike on the Goddard House patio using a cable lock Oct. 21 at approximately 10 p.m. On his return Oct. 22 at about 8 a.m., he discovered that his bike was missing.