W. icers endure winless stretch

The women's hockey team has struggled mightily over the past two months, compiling a 0-8-1 record. The Bears (2-14-3, 1-8-3 ECAC) scored only seven goals over the course of nine games, though five have come in the past two games — losses at St. Lawrence University (12-11-2, 7-6-0) and Clarkson University (9-13-3, 6-6-1). ­

Brown faced a tough slate of opponents after the four-week layoff for exams and holidays. In a four-game stretch in early January, the Bears faced Boston University (19-2-3), Cornell (20-1-0, 14-0-0) and Mercyhurst College (20-5-0) — the current third, second and fifth-ranked teams nationwide. Brown was shut out by all three squads and lost back-to-back games to Mercyhurst by scores of 6-0 and 12-0. Bruno goaltenders faced a staggering 114 shots over the two matchups. Katie Jamieson '13 stopped 52 of 58 shots in the first game against the powerhouse.  

But co-captain Jenna Dancewicz '11 said the team could benefit from the difficult stretch in the schedule, despite the disappointing results.  

"You learn," she said. "You watch game tape from your mistakes and you get better from facing tougher teams."  

The Bears' offense has showed signs of life in the team's two most recent matchups. Last Friday against St. Lawrence, Brown conceded three goals in the first period, but rebounded to score a goal in the last two periods in the 4-2 loss. Forwards Laurie Jolin '13 and Vanessa Welten '14 were the Brown goal scorers.  

The following day at Clarkson, Jolin continued her strong offensive play, adding two more goals — both on power plays — in a five-minute span in the third period. Her outburst tied the game at three, but the Clarkson squad responded with two late third-period goals to grab a 5-3 victory.  

Dancewicz credited the improved attack on the power-play units. Three of the five Brown goals in the past two matchups have come on the power play.  

"We've been working on our special teams," she said. "They have finally started to feel comfortable."  

The team will look to improve its record at home this weekend, as they host Harvard (10-7-2, 9-3-2) and Dartmouth (12-8-0, 8-6-0) in conference play. While the team has had a disappointing campaign so far — the Bears sit in 11th place out of 12 in the Eastern College Athletic Conference — Dancewicz said the team is still focused.  

"The weeks are counting down, and we have a goal to win a certain amount of games," she said. "There's a fire underneath our butts. We want to win."