In early test, Bruno runs, jumps, throws to victory

The men's and women's track and field teams turned in strong performances this past weekend at the Bryant University Invitational in Smithfield. The meet was a test in the early stages of Brown's outdoor track season.

"I think that it was a very solid competition for us," said Michelle Eisenreich, director of men's and women's track and field. "Everybody did what they were supposed to do, and that is exactly what we wanted to have happen."

John Spooney '14 claimed first place in the 100-meter dash in 10.93 seconds. In addition, the men's 4x100-meter relay team sprinted to a first place finish in 42.21.

"The men's four-by-one showed some promise," Eisenreich said. "Their big goal is to break the school record" of 40.90.

In field events, Jonathan Dieujuste '14 leaped 21-09 1/2 to finish first in the long jump, and Nick Keeling '14 threw the javelin 222-00, which also earned him a first-place finish. According to Eisenreich, Keeling is now ranked 24th nationally in the javelin.

The women also had a strong showing at Bryant. Niina Al-Hassan '14 led the squad, winning the javelin throw and earning the school record with a toss of 145-10.

"We did really well in the throwing events," Eisenreich said. "Overall, a really solid meet for this time of year."

Victoria Buhr '13 threw the discus 159-09 to capture first place. Brynn Smith '11 earned two second-place finishes in the shot put and hammer throw with heaves of 47-06 1/2 and 187-04, respectively.

On the track, Susan Scavone '12 placed second in the 100-meter hurdles in 14.80, and Colby Lubman '14 finished third in the 100-meter dash with a time of 12.51.

Though neither the men's nor the women's distance squads competed at Bryant, the team sent Matt Duffy '12, Dan Lowry '12 and Christian Escareno '11 to the Sam Howell Invitational at Princeton to race in the 5000-meter run and Brendan Boyle '14 to compete in the 3000-meter steeplechase.

Bruno will compete April 9 at the UConn Alumni Invite hosted by the University of Connecticut.

"Starting next week at UConn and at Brown, we'll have the majority of people competing," Eisenreich said. "For the most part, now we're going to be at full strength."