Despite an embarrassingly lackluster performance by Das Racist, a no-show by Lissy Trullie, an offensive and often boring concert from headliner Diddy-Dirty Money — when Diddy finally showed up — and a torrential downpour Saturday night, Spring Weekend was not a complete failure. At least there was Wyclef Jean.

For the first time since 2008, both concerts were held indoors, inviting criticism from students over Meehan Auditorium's distorted sound system and seat polarization — only the first 1,000 students to arrive were allowed near the stage, while the rest were relegated to bleachers. But the weekend did have its positives, thanks to TV on the Radio, Rebirth Brass Band, Lee Fields and the Expressions, a surprise performance by Wyclef and Dave Binder's sun-drenched 25th anniversary acoustic performance.

Friday's performance — though tempered by the notable absence of scheduled artist Trullie — featured TV on the Radio, who gave an infectiously energetic performance, with a blend of electrifying rock and soothing soul. Lead singer Tunde Adebimpe's crooning "oohs," accompanied by resounding drums, created an experience that was musically innovative and engaging.

"Rumor has it you guys came to party," Adebimpe shouted. TV on the Radio was ready to facilitate just that.

And on Saturday, Rebirth Brass Band turned Meehan into a dance hall from the moment the band stepped onstage with blaring instruments and vibrant music. Students on and off the rink went beyond the usual head bob. They grooved­ — clapping, cheering and singing along to songs they had never heard before. Lee Fields — with a glittering green suit and rich, soulful voice — sustained that energy, inspiring audience members to dance even while they stood in line to buy concessions.

But the highlight of the weekend was the surprise performance by Wyclef, a visiting fellow in the Department of Africana Studies, returning to the stage after his 2000 Spring Weekend performance. Whether he was strumming his guitar to "No Woman, No Cry," grooving to Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or dancing in the audience, Wyclef created an intimate atmosphere. Had Wyclef chosen not to sing, his enthusiasm and charisma would have been more than sufficient.

But the other acts were disappointing.

There was Das Racist, whose sense of humor, while funny on YouTube, did not translate well to the stage. The performance was nowhere near interesting enough to pump students up — even the trio's rendition of the hit "Combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell" didn't excite the audience.

"That act just sucks," said John Oberbeck '14 of Das Racist.

Then there was Trullie, the mysterious opener who tours with TV on the Radio but failed to appear Friday night. Her absence was disappointing, given the quality of her music. According to Abby Schreiber '11, Brown Concert Agency's booking chair, Trullie did not make it to the concert because her car broke down.

Shawn Patterson '12 said though he was not familiar with Trullie's music, the absence of a performer "really cut down on the concert experience." He said he was so disappointed with Friday's concert that he sold his Saturday ticket.

The location itself also proved frustrating to concert attendees. The sound system distorted artists' voices, so only someone obsessively familiar with lyrics could follow what was being sung. The split in seating created a frustrating duality in concert experiences. While those on the floor could move to the music, dancing in the bleachers was only worth it for an exceptional act.

"I was not a fan of the indoor arena," Patterson said. Patterson said he found Meehan's acoustics disappointing, especially with Das Racist.

"I didn't understand a word they said," he said.

Katerina Wright '11 said Saturday night's rain justified the indoor setting but said she thought holding the concerts in Meehan affected the weekend's atmosphere.

"The entire experience is different inside," she said. "It's less communal."

She was also happy that the rain stopped by Sunday, adding "It's always sunny for Dave Binder."

Kate Nemetz '13, who was in the bleachers Friday night, criticized the seating setup and said she was frustrated by a half-hour period between sets when the lights were turned on.

"It's not about the bands. This is a terrible setup," Nemetz said. "I really had high hopes, and this (expletive) sucks."

Saturday's concert was initially delayed by two hours when Diddy-Dirty Money informed the University that it was running behind schedule.

Another Diddy delay — Wyclef's set ended at 8:45 p.m., and Diddy was not onstage until 9:45 p.m.— pushed the frustration past the limit. The hour between Wyclef and Diddy involved unknown DJs and rappers, as well as periods of no performances while students booed and chanted Diddy's name.

"It is humbling for us to be here tonight," Diddy proclaimed, when he finally arrived. But it was hard to believe him after such a delay.

Consisting mainly of excerpts of his songs and extended tributes to Biggie Smalls, Saturday's performance was not what you expect from a headliner. There was no customary call for an encore, and students trickled out of Meehan — some before Diddy even got onstage.

Wright, who said she is "not a Diddy fan," still enjoyed his show, though she agreed that Wyclef was definitely the "surprise hit" of the evening.

"(Diddy) is a performer," she added.

But Conor Kane '14, who left before Diddy's set was finished, was less satisfied.

"You know how people can be great performers or be personable? I thought he fell in the middle," Kane said.

Kane also said he thought Saturday night's rain put a damper on the mood, saying that less seemed to be going on because of the rain.

"It's funny that parties kind of got rained out," he said.

Maybe, then, Das Racist was good for something. In three lines, they captured the weekend: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. It was the combination best of times and worst of times."