The Third World Center's yearlong search for a new director is coming to a close, said Ricky Gresh, senior director for student engagement. The search committee hopes to make an official announcement before finals period ends May 20, Gresh said.

Since Associate Dean of the College Karen McLaurin '74 left the position last spring, the center has been under the guidance of Associate Protestant University Chaplain William Mathis. The University chose to postpone the search until the start of this school year to focus on preparing the center for the fall semester.

The search began in October when a search committee and a student advisory board were formed. Gresh, who chairs the search committee, said it was important for the administration to have a strong collection of diverse student perspectives on the advisory board.

After a series of interviews, four finalists were selected from the pool of applicants before spring break. When classes resumed, the four candidates participated in a two-day program on campus — taking tours, attending welcome receptions and speaking at community forums on the mission and objectives of the center.

Student participation has been crucial to the search, Gresh said. About half the audience at each of the four forums were students.

"We wanted to have not just casual, but intensive student feedback," he said.

Gresh said he was glad to see so much response from the student body because the center director will work closely with students.

"People that are looking for these kinds of jobs are looking because they love to work with students," he said. "I think there was really the desire and also the expectation on our end to have their involvement, and the expectation on their end that they would have an opportunity to have their voice heard."

Saudi Garcia '14, who will be a Minority Peer Counselor next year, said she hopes the new director will help the center become "a place with more dialogue."

The new director should have an open mind about the role of the center on campus and should be willing to work with other departments and community efforts, Garcia said. She said she hopes the director will make an effort to draw more support from graduate students of color, as they do not have as big an input at the center as other groups.

Gresh said the process has been "really exciting" because of the possibilities open to the new director.

"There are both opportunities and issues that students in particular, but also the institution, alumni and faculty, see and can be addressed," Gresh said. "We're ready to really get in there and work with someone."

The University hopes to have the new director start July 1.