Subscribe to The Brown Daily Herald Newsletter

Sign up for The Brown Daily Herald’s daily newsletter to stay up to date with what is happening at Brown and on College Hill no matter where you are right now!


University News

‘Occupy’ protests hit College Hill

60 locals, students, faculty, gather on the Main Green

Contributing Writer
Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A group of about 60 students, faculty and Providence residents gathered on the Main Green yesterday at noon to discuss the possibility of creating a grassroots movement called “Occupy College Hill,” inspired by the ongoing “Occupy Wall Street” rallies.

The movement is a reaction against “the 1 percent” — the wealthiest 1 percent of the U.S. population who, according to the movement, afflict the other 99 percent through greed and corruption.

“Moneyed interest and corporate interests have a stranglehold, and there is a reflection that this can be changed,” said Daniel Moraff ’14, an attendee of Wednesday’s gathering and a Herald opinions columnist.

Phrases such as “we are the 99 percent,” “we are going to occupy Providence” and “act upon the impetus” reverberated around the eclectic group of protesters. Protesters slung profanities, called for self-determination and claimed they had been “screwed over,” by the wealthier 1 percent.

While many present at the event were clear supporters of the movement, others had come to the Main Green out of curiosity. Robyn Schroeder GS expressed uncertainty about the movement.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen,” Schroeder said.

Issues raised at the meeting included labor and environmental concerns.

Participants in the rally said they hope to join with “Occupy Providence,” a larger movement throughout the city, also based on the “Occupy Wall Street” movement. Meetings of “Occupy Providence” will be held at Burnside Park, next to Kennedy Plaza.

There will be another “Occupy College Hill” meeting today at noon on the Main Green.

To stay up-to-date, subscribe to our daily newsletter.

Comments are closed.

Comments are closed. If you have corrections to submit, you can email The Herald at