Timothy Flanigan, professor of medicine, recalled the enthusiasm of a Ghanian priest he met at the Sept. 20 launch of the University's new HIV education initiative, which was born from a partnership between three American universities and the University of Ghana.

The priest, who runs a program to support people with HIV and AIDS, "was very excited to engage with the University of Ghana in community-based work," Flanigan said. "He was very excited that the strengths of the university could reach outside of campus."

Flanigan and two other Alpert Medical School professors — along with professors from the Tufts University School of Medicine and Yale School of Medicine — traveled to Accra, Ghana, from Sept. 18-24 to launch the program, which aims to educate Ghanaian students and professionals in the medical field about HIV prevention and care.  

The professors led workshops on HIV research with students, professionals in the field and community members.

Going forward, professors from American universities and the University of Ghana will present workshops in Accra every three months.

It is "critical for the University of Ghana to develop a strong voice," Flanigan said. If the university can establish itself as an independent institution, it can help move the country forward, Flanigan added.  

Awewura Kwara, assistant professor of medicine, explained that the goal is to teach the country's future medical professionals about HIV prevention and care.

Flanigan explained that HIV education and prevention efforts cannot come from Brown and the University of Ghana alone — momentum must also come from the people of Ghana.

Flanigan said he was pleased with the excitement exhibited at the program launch. "It was amazing to see the leadership rally around this program," Flanigan said. "The kick-off was done with great pride and excitement, much more so than we do in this country, and this taught me something."