Bears wallop Princeton in shutout win

Wide Receiver Tellef Lundevall '13 caught a touchdown and threw for another as Brown dominated Princeton 34-0 Saturday at Brown Stadium. 

The victory is the Bears' (4-1, 1-1 Ivy) third in a row and first conference win of the year, while the struggling Tigers (1-4, 1-1) dropped their second in a row. 

Quarterback Kyle Newhall-Caballero '11.5 led another stellar offensive performance, going 22-31 for 229 yards and a touchdown. For the third straight game, the offense did not turn over the ball. 

Brown took the lead only 57 seconds into the game when linebacker Dan Smithwick '12 intercepted a Tommy Wornham pass and ran it back for a touchdown.

Along with his touchdown, Smithwick led the Brown defense with eight tackles in the shutout. Brown doubled Princeton's yardage total, outgaining the Tigers 415 yards to 208.

In the second quarter, Newhall-Caballero found Lundevall for an 11-yard diving touchdown catch, and later a Mark Kachmer '13 run past the pylon extended the lead to 24-0 at halftime.

After punter Nate Lovett '12 surprised the Tigers with a 22-yard rush on a fake punt in the fourth quarter, the Bears' offense put more trickery to use. On the next play, Lundevall got the ball on a wide receiver reverse and then lobbed a touchdown pass to Jimmy Saros '12 to make the score 34-0. 

Three times in the second half, Brown's defense forced a turnover on downs inside its own 10-yard line to preserve the shutout.

The Bears will travel next week to Ithaca to take on Cornell (2-2, 0-2).