Concern over expansion of research at presidential search forum

Fewer than 20 show up to give input on U.’s next leader

Since President Ruth Simmons' announcement of her resignation, many have professed the need to find a successor equally open and responsive. Yet few students answered the call to provide input on selecting her successor at yesterday's open forum. The informal discussion, initiated by members of the Corporation Search Committee and the Campus Advisory Committee, drew about 15 undergraduates for an intimate and animated discussion on issues relating to the upcoming appointment.

"Transitions are a critical moment in the lives of institutions," said Chancellor Thomas Tisch '76 P'07, chair of the Corporation Search Committee. Tisch, who moderated the discussion, said Simmons' departure presents a chance for the University to "step back and reflect on the nature of leadership."

Some students expressed concern with the direction research at Brown has taken with the ongoing expansion of graduate programs and questioned whether undergraduate participation in research would suffer as a result. One attendee expressed his hope that, in 30 years, the next generation of Brown students would still have the same opportunities to work directly with professors.

But Alison DeLong, committee member and associate professor of biology, said such concerns rest on a "false dichotomy." Undergrads' research skills are a big draw for faculty hires, and an increase in graduate students would benefit undergraduates by providing mentorship in labs when faculty members are unavailable, she said.

Tisch then turned the conversation to the ideal qualities of Simmons' successor.

The need for a president dedicated to understanding and interacting with undergraduates was an especially prevalent concern for the students in attendance.

"We want someone who we'll never question, ‘Well you didn't go to here, do you really love Brown?'" said Imani Tisdale '12, senior class board president. Tisdale cited Simmons' reputation for school spirit despite having never attended Brown as a quality her successor should also possess.

Enthusiasm for Brown's open curriculum was also singled out as an important quality. "We don't have a monopoly on wisdom," Tisch said of the University's academic philosophy, though he said the new president should embrace Brown's distinct learning environment for its own merits.

Chung-I Tan, professor of physics and chair of the Campus Advisory Committee, proposed a hypothetical choice between a visionary candidate and one with extensive managerial experience. Some attendees argued that strong qualifications would be necessary to run an institution of Brown's size and complexity, but a visionary leader would draw the attention of donors necessary to keep the university financially successful.

The paltry attendance itself became a topic of discussion, and many participants remarked that undergraduates had failed to take advantage of the opportunity to express their opinions.

Despite the poor showing, the members of the committee reaffirmed their commitment to making the selection process as transparent and participatory as possible. "Outreach is so elemental," Tisch said.