The Department of Public Safety will launch a new website this spring and is creating a new student job to coordinate social media, said Michelle Nuey, manager of public relations and outreach for DPS.

"The current website is informative, but a little too stagnant visually," Nuey said. The new website will feature the same information but will be more easily navigable and appealing to viewers.

DPS sees a need to increase its use of social media to increase community partnership and involvement and maintain a connection with students, Nuey said. By using outlets such as Facebook and Twitter, DPS will be able to receive student feedback of the department.

Though new media platforms will not convey new information, they will promote transparency. "Users would know more about our operations and our missions," Nuey said.

Information will include safety tips, crime alerts and updates about events hosted by DPS. Currently, the primary modes of communication with the Brown community are through Morning Mail, emails and updates on the department's website.

"Sometimes I check my Facebook more often than I check my email," said David Barrera '15.

In order to use social media effectively, DPS will gather student input through focus groups and hire a student coordinator. This position, which will be posted to the student employment website by the end of the semester, will involve working closely with DPS administrators to create a social media strategy. DPS will look for a student who knows the "ins and outs of social media and … what appeals to students," Nuey said.

Nuey will supervise the student coordinator, who she said should have graphic design skills and be very creative.