Maine event: squash tops Bowdoin and Colby

Both the men's and women's squash teams returned from Maine triumphant after successful matches against Bowdoin and Colby this weekend.  

Ranked above its two opponents, the No. 11 women's team (8-3, 1-2 Ivy) won each match with little difficulty — 9-0 against Bowdoin and 8-1 against Colby. "The teams played well this weekend," said Head Coach Stuart LeGassick. "The women had two very solid displays."  

Sarah Beresford '13 praised the strong performance of Dori Rahbar '14, who, despite being the lone Bear to fall, battled Colby's top player in a tight match. "Colby has a really strong number one," Beresford said. "But Dori played so hard and really gave it her all."  

"We wanted to use this weekend to practice playing our own game," Beresford added. "We all were able to execute effectively on our goals and come away with strong wins all across the ladder."

Now the team is focused on preparing for another away weekend, traveling to Philadelphia to face Penn and Drexel.

While the women's squad rolled through Bowdoin and Colby, the men's team had more of a suspenseful weekend. Though the team defeated Colby 9-0, the winner between Bruno and Bowdoin was decided by the last match, which was played by co-captain Blake Reinson '14.

"It was closer than we thought it would be," LeGassick said. "Bowdoin was playing very well. Blake Reinson had to win at No. 1 in the final match to win the match."

Alex Hsu '13 said he was inspired by his captain's performance.

"Going into Bowdoin, we were pretty confident but surprised by their level of play," he said. "It ended up being much closer than we anticipated, and our captain had the last match. Blake lost the first game but fought back and won the next three games."

Next weekend, the men will travel with the women to Philadelphia to face Penn and Drexel before moving on to Princeton for an Ivy matchup.