Bruno hits bottom of ECAC standings

The men's ice hockey team — now mired in a six-game losing streak — sustained tough road losses to No. 12 Cornell and Colgate this weekend. The team has also fallen into last place in the Eastern College Athletic Conference after failing to compile a point since its win over then-No. 12 Union Jan. 21. 

"We have four regular season games left," said Jeff Buvinow '12. "The only thing you can do is try to stop the bleeding — take it one game at a time." 

The Bears (8-14-3, 5-11-12 ECAC) knew they would be facing rough road tests playing against the top ECAC competition in Cornell (13-6-6, 10-5-3) and Colgate (17-10-3, 11-6-1), and both games showed Bruno's resilience.  

Cornell 5, Brown 2 

In the hostile environment at Cornell's Lynah Rink, Brown was able to shake off its recent problems with early goal scoring by notching the first two goals of the game. Matt Lorito '15 closed out the first period with an unassisted goal off an offensive zone faceoff.  The team came out strong in the second period — Ryan Jacobson '15 scored on the deflected shot of Dennis Robertson '14. 

But after the good start, in a scene reminiscent of Bruno's previous game against St. Lawrence (12-15-3, 8-9-1), Brown allowed five unanswered goals.  

"We were up 2-0, then they scored and took it from us," said assistant captain Bobby Farnham '12. "I thought our work ethic was good this weekend. At the same time, we had too many lapses that cost us in crucial situations." 

Colgate 7, Brown 6 

The usually low-scoring Bears followed up with a high-octane affair against Colgate in which 13 different players scored. The game started off with five goals in a first period that resulted in a 3-2 Colgate lead. Captain Jack Maclellan '12 — who leads the team with 14 goals — and Richie Crowley '13 scored the two Bruno goals. 

Garnet Hathaway '14 and Massimo Lamacchia '15 also added goals in the second period. Farnham, who leads the team with 12 assists, set up Lamacchia's goal.  

"When we're at our best — when our fundamentals are at our best — it's when our team wins," Farnham said. 

Brown, strong all game, mounted a comeback in the third period but fell short at the final buzzer. Goals from Matt Harlow '15, Buvinow and Robertson put the team right within reach of forcing extra time. 

Despite the team's recent struggles, players said they have not given up hope and continue to push every day.  

"Our goal is still getting home ice," Farnham said. "Being fundamentally sound as a team, we're going to take care of business heading into the playoffs." 

"We just need some momentum going into the playoffs and get a few wins under our belt," Buvinow said. 

Brown faces its last home series of the season Feb. 17 and 18 against Ivy foes Harvard (8-7-10, 6-4-8) and Dartmouth (9-12-4, 6-9-3). The series represents the last home games the current senior class will play at Meehan Auditorium.  

"We always notice when we have Harvard and Dartmouth on our schedule," Buvinow said. "They're always competitive teams. We're excited for this home series and Senior Weekend."