U. officials discuss tax status at UCS general body meeting

University officials discussed Brown's financial contributions to the city of Providence at Wednesday's general body meeting of the Undergraduate Council of Students. The council also introduced a resolution on gender-neutral housing for first-year students to be voted on next Wednesday and considered the future of its relations with the Undergraduate Finance Board in light of recent backlash over its proposed constitutional amendment.

Though the University recognizes the severity of the fiscal crisis plaguing the city, it is already a major contributor to the city, paying $4 million annually, said Marisa Quinn, vice president for public affairs and University relations.

About 38 percent of the city's property is tax-exempt, Quinn said, adding that it is understandable that city residents are looking to Brown for additional contributions. Still, University property accounts for only 8.1 percent of the city's property. 

"And we've already stepped up," she added, indicating the University's proposal to provide an additional $2 million in voluntary payments each year to the city.

President Ruth Simmons has demonstrated the University's commitment to the city, Quinn said, but Brown cannot simply write a "blank check" for the city without considering the potentially "crippling" effects on the University's mission as well as its tuition and need-blind admission.

Quinn also pointed to Yale which has a strong financial commitment to its home city of New Haven and is considered "one of the more generous in the country." Though Yale provides the city with $8.1 million in voluntary payments each year compared to Brown's $2.5 million in voluntary contributions to Providence, Yale possesses an endowment of $19.4 billion, approximately eight times as large as Brown's.

While Mayor Angel Taveras told Simmons he would seek legislative action to increase Brown's financial contributions if negotiations are unfruitful, Quinn said the University would fight in court over its tax-exempt status if necessary. 

"We have a strong legal case," said Albert Dahlberg, director of state and community relations.

The council also introduced a resolution in support of gender-neutral housing for first-years as proposed by the student group GenderAction. Members will vote next week on the resolution, which calls for the implementation of gender-neutral housing based on the University's anti-discrimination clause, undergraduate student body support as expressed in the council's fall 2011 poll and Penn's plans to introduce the option this fall for its students.

The council also discussed the controversy surrounding the amendment it proposed last week that would allow UCS to make funding decisions without UFB's approval. UCS leaders were considering withholding the results of the undergraduate student vote on the amendment, said David Rattner '13, vice president of the council. Some students told the council they had voted for the amendment and then learned information that would have affected their decision, added UCS President Ralanda Nelson '12. But due to widespread disagreement among the council's members, the decision to withhold the vote was reversed.

Rattner also said a separate council of five members composed of two UCS representatives, two UFB representatives and a community member will be created. The committee will discuss the relationship between the two bodies and introduce a proposal clarifying their relationship within the next month. The committee is charged with exploring the issue of transparency, Nelson said, and will provide regular updates to the council.

This weekend, Nelson, along with four other members of the council, will represent the University at the Global Zero conference at Yale and will meet and discuss issues with other student leaders from across the country.