The Brown Market Shares Program, which supplies produce from local farms to students, faculty and staff shareholders, was recently named a finalist in the first national Campus Champions of Change Challenge sponsored by the White House. Choosing from a group of 15 finalists, the public can cast votes for finalists online until March 3, and the top five finalists by popular vote will attend a White House event and host an episode of mtvU's ‘The Dean's List.'

At press time, the University of Massachusetts Amherst was in first place with 24,185 votes for its program of beautifying its campus through permaculture gardens. The Market Share program was in sixth place, with 8,667 votes.

Leah Douglas '13, outreach coordinator for the program, was nominated on the program's behalf. Last fall, Douglas' mother told her about the competition and encouraged her to apply, she said. This was one of many grants that Douglas was in the process of applying for, so she pieced together the application and sent it off, thinking that "it would disappear into the ethers."

When a phone call from a White House representative came for Douglas, she was shocked. "I thought it was a joke," Douglas said. 

"All across America, college and university students are helping our country out-innovate, out-educate, and out-build the rest of the world," said President Obama in describing the program, according to the challenge website. "I hope this challenge shines a light on their efforts and inspires Americans of all ages to get involved in their communities."

Douglas described the market shares program as "unique." The program regularly provides shareholders with food shares, including produce that comes from farmers within a 20-mile radius of Brown, Douglas said. Shareholders include students, faculty and staff, who pay a lump sum at the beginning of the school semester for their share of produce. 

Charlotte Delpit '15, coordinator of the subsidized program, is responsible for organizing subsidized shareholders. "Our values entail creating access to fresh, local food to everyone and anyone, no matter their financial circumstance," Delpit said.

Douglas said she was drawn to the program about a year and a half ago by the real world experience she expected to gain. "I love the work," she said. "It's all about access to food."

Douglas and Delpit said that they appreciate the White House recognizing the need for reform in the agriculture system. "It's hopeful to know that the White House is paying attention to the major problems of the current food system and highlighting those who are (paying attention)," Delpit said. 

Other finalists in the competition have worked on projects including creating gardens on campus lawns and using unused meal credits to feed the homeless, according to the challenge website. 

Douglas said she has been "overwhelmed by the support from family, friends and the shareholders." 

"It's surreal," she added. "Just surreal."