Defense aids bounce-back win

After a crushing 16-8 loss to Harvard April 7, the women's lacrosse team rebounded with a 15-5 win against Sacred Heart Saturday at the Berylson Family Fields.

The Bears (6-5) started off strong, thanks to two early goals from Kaela McGilloway '12 and Alexandra Crerend '15. Despite a two-goal response from the Pioneers (6-8), Brown dominated in the first half, outshooting Sacred Heart 22-8. 

Head coach Keely McDonald '00 attributed the team's dominance not only to its prolific offense, but to its dominating defense.

"I thought our defense was a real bright spot for us," McDonald said. "(The defenders) were aggressive and smart."

With nearly 11 minutes remaining in the first period, Crerend scored her second of the game, which was the first of 10 unanswered goals for Bruno. Before halftime, Sacred Heart only managed one more goal, giving the Bears a 12-3 lead. 

Bruno's offense was not as productive in the second half as it had been in the first, only managing three goals in the remaining 30 minutes. Crerend put in her 19th goal of the season to kick off the scoring in the second half.

Neither team would score again until there were under seven minutes remaining. This time, it was Sacred Heart that added a tally to its side of the scoreboard. Fewer than two minutes later, the Pioneers scored again. But Sacred Heart's run came too late in the game, as Brown closed out the win with goals from Bre Hudgins '14 and Emily Klein '15.

McDonald commended her entire team for the win.

"It's great that we were able to get every player in the game, and I think every player did a nice job keeping the level (of play) really high," she said.

The Bears will resume Ivy League play against Yale in New Haven April 18.