W. lax falls to Penn, out of contention for playoffs

The women's lacrosse team dropped its fifth straight conference matchup Saturday, losing to first-place Penn 15-6 in Philadelphia.

The Quaker offense was on fire to start the game. Almost seven minutes into the first half, Penn (7-5, 5-1 Ivy) put four goals past goalkeeper Isabel Harvey '12. Despite a one-goal retaliation from Bre Hudgins '14, the Quakers went on a second goal-scoring run that left the Bears (6-7, 1-5) with an 8-1 deficit with less than 10 minutes remaining in the first half.

"We weren't really taking care of the ball," Hudgins said. "We really hurt ourselves in that respect."

Shortly thereafter, Kaela McGilloway '12 scored Brown's second goal of the game. But Penn continued to demonstrate its offensive prowess, adding another tally before going into halftime with a 9-2 lead.

During the break, Brown's coaching staff made a few adjustments, such as substituting Kellie Roddy '15 for Harvey in goal. Still, the Quakers managed to score two consecutive goals to start the second half.

But the Bears answered with their best stretch of play. Hudgins and Julia Keller '12 led a three-goal run from 23:33 to 16:49 to cut the deficit to 11-5.

Hudgins, Brown's leading goal-scorer on the day, said the run should have come earlier in the game, and it was too little, too late.

"We just got off to a late start," she said.

With seven minutes left in the game, Penn and Brown traded scores. The Bears' goal, put in by Alexandra Crerend '15, would be their final one of the day.

The Quakers proceeded to go on a 3-0 run to round out the lopsided victory.

The Bears now sit in seventh place in the Ivy League standings and have been eliminated from conference playoff contention. Still, the Bears will have a chance to close out their season on a high note when they battle Cornell (9-4, 4-2) at home April 28.