Lawsuit filed against Yale for alleged Title IX noncompliance

Yale's former security education coordinator Susan Burhans filed a lawsuit against the university Friday afternoon, alleging her attempts to ensure Title IX compliance resulted in unfair dismissal, the Yale Daily News reported.

The suit, which follows a string of alleged Title IX violations at Yale, claims that Burhans found the university was underreporting cases of sexual misconduct and that campus policies were encouraging a hostile sexual atmosphere. According to the complaint, Burhans lost job responsibilities after notifying superiors of these issues, and her position was terminated in March. Though she was rehired in an unrelated capacity, her current employment expires in November.

Burhans is suing for at least $10 million, according to the complaint.

University of Cambridge sells its first bonds

The University of Cambridge sold its first bonds to outside investors Wednesday in a bid to fund research and improve teaching and facilities. Cambridge is the second British university in three months to sell its issue. 

The sale drew four times as many investors as bonds available, and observers anticipate the move may encourage other U.K. universities to follow suit, Bloomberg Businessweek reported.

Cambridge, which sold 350 million pounds - about $560 million in U.S. currency - worth of 40-year bonds, plans to use the funding for long-term projects, according to the Wall Street Journal. 

Connecticut higher ed president resigns after controversy

Robert Kennedy, president of Connecticut's higher education system, resigned Friday after his approval of a controversial series of staff salary increases was revealed last week, the Chronicle of Higher Education reported. 

The pay increases, which were given to 22 staff members and collectively totaled over $260,000, drew controversy for being approved without the knowledge of the governing board.  Kennedy's departure also followed allegations from two of the state's community college presidents that the Kennedy administration pressured them to accept buyouts or be dismissed from their posts, according to the Chronicle.

The Board of Regents for Higher Education has convened a review committee to investigate the salary increases. Kennedy, who took control of the state higher education system last year, suspended the raises before his departure.