Bruno dominates Ivy Championship

The No. 12 men's water polo team celebrated senior day last Friday with a 12-9 victory over the Massachusetts Institute of Technology at the Katherine Moran Coleman Aquatics Center. 

MIT (9-10) started strong by scoring the first goal early in the match, but Ryan Gladych '13, Cyrus Mojdehi '12.5 and Svetozar Stefanovic '13 scored three consecutive goals to put Bruno (27-2) on top. At the end of the third quarter, the Bears and the Engineers were tied 6-6.

"It was a game that was too close," Mojdehi said. "It was our senior night, and we were all playing with a lot of emotion, and we allowed the match to turn into a dogfight."

But Brown did not take any chances in the final quarter and outscored MIT to hold on to a victory.

The team then travelled to New Haven, Conn. Saturday for the Ivy Championship, where they sought to defend last year's title. 

Bruno dominated Harvard (13-15) and was up 8-0 after the first quarter, which Mojdehi said was an important moment for the team.

"Going up 8-0 on Harvard was a highlight of the tournament and really set the tone for us," he said. 

Brown continued to prove too much for the Crimson to handle, and they secured the game with a 19-5 win.

The victory over Harvard set the Bears against No. 18 Princeton (12-10) for the final battle. But with Hurricane Sandy looming, the Tigers traveled back to New Jersey and did not play the match. As a result, no champion was crowned at the tournament, and Bruno instead played its final game against Dartmouth (12-4), a team they had not faced yet this season.

As with the Crimson, Bruno took control of the match almost immediately, going ahead of the Big Green 4-2 only three minutes into the match. The Bears built on their lead as the game went on, finishing 21-8. 

"We were disappointed that we didn't get a chance to play Princeton since we could have given them a really good game," Stefanovic said. "But when we were out there against Dartmouth, we just focused on our goals and won the game."

The team is now preparing for the Northern Division Championship, which will be held at home from Nov. 3-4.