Borelli ’13 earns first career shutout

Athlete of the Week looks forward to competitive season with the Bears on ice

As starting goalie for men’s hockey, Anthony Borelli ’13 is the last line of defense on the ice. While teammates have suffered from untimely injuries, the Grant Island, N.Y. native has stayed healthy and helped keep Bruno competitive this season. Borelli earned his first career shutout Saturday, making 23 saves in a 3-0 victory over Cornell. For his outstanding effort, he has been named The Herald’s Athlete of the Week.

Herald: How did it feel to pick up your first career shutout against Cornell?

Borelli: If felt great. It felt good to get the monkey off the back, per se, especially at Cornell because it’s known as a hostile environment. That kind of made it even better for me — it was nice. I’m just happy we won to be honest. Shutout or not, it didn’t matter to me.

How would you asses your team’s play this season?

I think I would describe us as a resilient team, because we’ve had a good amount of guys go down with injuries, some guys left, some guys de-committed, a recruit didn’t end up coming, and I don’t think that we’ve really let it bother us at all. We just keep getting better and better and I think that we’re primed to make a pretty good push here coming into the end of the season.

When did you start playing hockey?

I started playing hockey when I was three. My mom put me in hockey as just something to do and I don’t remember much from those days. But I just kept sticking with it and I was pretty good. I started out as forward, and I switched to goalie when I was nine. I got a shutout my first game and never looked back.

What has been your best memory of Brown hockey so far?

That shutout was pretty good (laughs). I would have to say my freshman year making it to the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference finals. To do that in the first year kind of showed us what it takes to get there, and hopefully we can emulate that.

What’s the most anticipated game coming up?

I would have to say Quinnipiac (University) on Friday because they’re number two — should be number one in the nation. … So that should be a pretty good opportunity for us to beat another very good team in our league and in the country.

Do you have any specific pressures or goals as a senior?

I’ve been trying to do the opposite of focusing on pressure. I’m trying to take the pressure off myself. But as far as goals go, as long as you play well and you play for your team, if you play for the logo on the front of the jersey, as cliche as that is … then everything else will fall into place.

Is there an athlete you admire the most?

When I was growing up, Patrick Roy was my idol — loved him. He played for the Colorado Avalanche — he was an amazing goalie, a great competitor. That’s who I always pretended to be and who I wanted to be when I grew up.

What is your concentration and why?

My concentration is economics. I chose that because it’s the closest thing to finance, and that’s what I was interested in. I guess I want to be a businessman. I’d also like to open a restaurant someday.

What else are you passionate about, other than hockey?

I like watching football. I love the Buffalo Bills, unfortunately. It’s kind of like a torturous thing, but I love them to death.

Finally, the most important question: Antonio’s or Nice Slice?

That’s an easy one — Nice Slice all day. The barbecue chicken can’t be beat.