Blizzard interrupts Corporation meeting

Nemo will delay vote on school of public health and next year’s University budget

In anticipation of Winter Storm Nemo, the Corporation canceled its Saturday meeting and made plans to end its Friday meeting early at 10:30 a.m., delaying a vote on a school of public health and decisions about potential tuition or financial aid changes for at least a week, wrote Vice President for Public Affairs and University Relations Marisa Quinn in an email to The Herald.

President Christina Paxson and Chancellor Thomas Tisch ’76 decided to truncate the Corporation meetings in light of the blizzard warning and National Weather Service forecasts, Quinn wrote.

In lieu of the Friday and Saturday meetings, conference calls will be scheduled next week for the Budget and Finance Committee and for the Corporation as a whole, Quinn wrote, with expectations that the calls will take place “at the earliest possible convenient time.”

The Corporation, the University’s highest governing body, was expected to vote on the creation of a proposed school of public health after faculty members approved it in November. The Corporation was also expected to approve the proposed fiscal year 2014 budget and announce any tuition increases and accompanying changes in financial aid, both in response to the University Resource Committee’s recent report. These actions will be delayed until the conference calls, Quinn said.

Most of the Corporation’s committees met yesterday, Quinn wrote. The Corporation also held a dinner last night with members of the strategic planning committees, and today’s abbreviated meeting will entail further discussions of the planning committees’ interim reports released last month.

Many Corporation members have already arrived on campus, Quinn said, though some canceled their travel plans due to the weather.

The last time a Corporation weekend was curtailed due to weather was in the early 1990s, when meetings ended Friday afternoon and the Saturday meeting was canceled, Quinn wrote.

A Divest Coal Campaign rally originally scheduled for noon was moved up to 10:00 a.m. on the Main Green, shortly before the Corporation adjourns, said Kristy Choi ’15, one of the rally’s organizers.

The administration will “continue to monitor and make other information available as decisions are made in respect to the best information,” Quinn said.