McGonagill ’14 goes down in history with 1,000th point

The men’s basketball co-captain is the 25th player in Brown’s history to reach this milestone

Men’s baskeball team co-captain Sean McGonagill ’14 made history Saturday night by scoring his 1000th point against Penn at the Palestra in Philadelphia, wrapping up a five-game road trip for the Bears.

McGonagill, Bruno’s starting point guard, became the 25th player in school history to reach the 1,000-point landmark. McGonagill’s accomplishment reflects his success in a season where he has, so far, led the Bears in both points and assists per game.

For his continued excellence leading Brown on the court, McGonagill has been named The Herald’s Athlete of the Week.

Herald: When did you first get into basketball, and why?

McGonagill: I first got into basketball when I was little. My family has always been big basketball fans. My father was a big influence, and I learned the game from him.

How did it feel to get your 1000th point?

It was nice to know I’d accomplished something, but a little disappointing because we lost the game. It’s more important to me that we keep on winning games.

What has been the best part of your basketball career here at Brown?

Just being a part of the team — enjoying every second I have. I love getting to know the guys and making good friends.

How do you deal with the responsibilities of being a team captain?

It’s something that you have to acknowledge when you lead by example. Whether you’re helping a teammate out or just showing the guys how to do something, you have to be the hardest worker out there.

What goals does the team have this year?

Honestly, we’re just trying to take it game-by-game and improve every day in practice. We want to learn as much as we can from each other and enter each game knowing that we can win it.

What are your favorite athletes and sports teams?

Since I’m from Chicago, I grew up as a Bulls fan and I love Derrick Rose. I’ve also always been a fan of Steve Nash. Since I’m a point guard, I sort of idolize him and his game.

How do you balance schoolwork with sports, especially during a road stretch like the one you just went through?

It’s a little tough — managing time is the biggest thing. If you’ve got a lot of games on the road coming up, you just got to make sure you do it before the weekend.

What are your interests and passions off the court?

I like to hang out with friends, enjoy life and do things for myself. I played football, baseball and soccer in high school.

Did anything interesting happen to you during Winter Storm Nemo?

Well, when we were coming back from Penn on Saturday night, a woman came to us at a rest stop and asked my teammate Stephen (Albrecht ’13) to help us get her car off the snow. We were exhausted, it must have been 1 or 2 in the morning, and it was a bit scary because her car was way back in the dark. We didn’t even end up getting her completely out.