Women’s lacrosse team falters in final minutes after matching the Quakers’ score

Bruno was able to take the No. 1 Ivy League team into overtime but failed to clinch a win

Contributing Writer
Monday, April 22, 2013

The women’s lacrosse team fell to Penn 10-7 in overtime Saturday at home. The Quakers — No. 1 in the Ivy League — out-hustled the Bears despite a strong effort from Bruno to keep the match tied 7-7 in the final minutes of regulation.  

“It was another big step for our program, taking the No. 1 Ivy into overtime, but it’s disappointing that we haven’t closed one of those tight games yet,” said Abbey Van Horne ’14. “We have done so much to change the program this year and have made history, but it’s hard for us to see in the moment when we didn’t clinch those wins.”

The Bears (9-5, 2-4 Ivy) held a 7-6 lead with seven minutes remaining in the match, but Penn (9-4, 7-0) forced the game into overtime with less than a minute left on the clock. With Penn on the attack in the final seconds, Kellie Roddy ’15 made a critical save to keep the game tied.

Penn started off the scoring with a goal 33 seconds into the game, which the Bears answered with a four-goal streak. Co-captain Tara Rooke ’13 and co-captain Bre Hudgins ’14 each scored a goal, and Abby Bunting ’15 added two of her own. The Quakers scored another goal in the half, giving Bruno a 4-2 lead before halftime.

The second period began with an offensive campaign from both teams, with two goals by each. Bunting and Hudgins each contributed one goal. With fewer than 10 minutes to go, a Quaker goal tied the match 6-6, but Grace Healy ’14 gave the Bears a one-goal lead with 7:15 left in the period.

Bunting and Hudgins each contributed three points to the Bears’ efforts, with three goals from Bunting and with two goals and an assist by Hudgins.

“We played so well … because we were so supportive of each other, and coach kept reminding us what our program is about and where it’s headed,” Rooke said.

Defensively, Kasey Wagner ’13 led the team in caused turnovers, while Richael Walsh ’16 and Sidney Jacobs ’13 each added two ground balls to the Bears’ efforts. Roddy ended the game with seven saves in goal.

The squad will return home Saturday in a matchup against Yale (7-6, 1-5).

“We still have so much to be proud of and we’ve come really far … and know we can take the hard work we put into changing the program,” Van Horne said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *