Anchored by goalies, women's soccer continues staunch defense

Bruno will take on Princeton at home Saturday, after a win and a draw last week

The women’s soccer team pushed further into its season last week with a win over Bryant Wednesday and an overtime draw with Columbia Saturday evening.

Brown 1, Bryant 0

For the second straight game, forward Kiersten Berg ’14 scored the lone goal in a Bears (6-2-1, 1-0-1 Ivy) victory, sparking the team’s 1-0 home win over Bryant (5-7-0) with a second-half goal at Stevenson Field.

Berg scored the only goal in last Sunday’s Ivy League opener against Dartmouth, a 1-0 victory for the squad. This time her game-winning goal came in the 60th minute off an assist from forward Chloe Cross ’15.

“Chloe got the ball, and I started screaming for it,” Berg said. “I saw the lane open and started crossing across the middle. She played it towards the keeper, and I was there to knock it in.”

Captain Mika Siegelman ’14 said Berg’s ability to get open was key to Brown’s success.

“She’s always been really good,” Siegelman said. “She just has the speed to get past defenders.”

Siegelman led the Bears with five shots. Cross added three shots while Louisa Pitney ’14 tried two on Bryant goalies Kaylan Conrad and Lauren Viverito.

On the other end of the field, Bruno’s dual goalies, Amber Bledsoe ’14 and Mary Catherine Barrett ’14 teamed up for the shutout, with Barrett earning the win, her fifth of the year. Bledsoe tacked on one save in her half of play.

Berg complimented the team’s defense, noting its “confidence has been up” for most of the season.

“They’re really young, with only one senior, but they’re all on the same page,” Berg said.

Brown 0, Columbia 0

Bruno played for 110 minutes with the full length of overtime Saturday night against Columbia (5-3-2, 0-1-1) at Columbia Soccer Stadium until the match was called a 0-0 tie.

The team has suffered injuries, with several starters unable to travel to New York, Siegelman said.

“We wanted to win for sure, but our numbers were hurting,” Siegelman said. “Everyone out there was giving everything they had.”

Brown saw plenty of offensive opportunities, outshooting the Lions 8-3 in the first half. Overall, the team shot 12 times, compared to Columbia’s 10 shots.

Cross and Erin Katz ’16 led Bruno in shots, with four and three, respectively. Bledsoe and Barrett both tallied a save.

Brown gets back on the field at home this Saturday, when the team takes on Princeton. Though the Tigers went undefeated in the Ivy League last year, they are 0-2-0 in conference play this season, with losses to Yale and Dartmouth.

“Princeton’s been really good, but they’ve been having a tough year,” Siegelman said. “It’s about playing hard every Ivy game — a lot of it comes down to who wants it more, and I don’t have any doubts about how badly this team wants it.”