Field hockey falls to Friars, cow Crimson

After dropping the ball against Providence College, Bruno earns redemption besting Harvard

Over four days of play, the field hockey team saw extreme lows and highs. After suffering a 5-1 defeat at the hands of Providence College (5-5) last Wednesday, the Bears (4-5, Ivy 1-2) were triumphant against Harvard (2-5, 1-2), winning 2-1 in overtime. The victory was Brown’s first conference win of the season.

Providence 5, Brown 1

The team entered last Wednesday’s game against cross-town rivals Providence coming off a close loss to Dartmouth. Forward Torie Stearns ’14 said the Bears knew they were in for an uphill battle.

“Providence is in a really strong conference. They’ve always been a strong team,” Stearns said. “But whatever team it is you have to go out hard.”

Unfortunately for the Bears, the Friars struck more swiftly. Less than 30 seconds elapsed before Providence’s Daniella Bernasconi struck the game’s first goal. Bernasconi duplicated this feat in the second minute of play to add to Providence’s lead.

This trend of Friar offensive dominance persisted, with Providence’s forwards scoring twice more before the end of the period. Bruno’s lone answer to the barrage of goals came from Stearns, who netted an unassisted point in the 23rd minute.

After the game, Stearns said the Bears struggled to regain momentum after the Friars’ initial scoring surge.

“When a team comes out hard and scores in the first 30 seconds it knocks you back a little bit,” Stearns said. “We were playing a little bit scared after that.”

Brown 2, Harvard 1 (OT)

The team had to set aside any fears and regrets surrounding the loss to Providence when it confronted Harvard Saturday. After falling to both Columbia and Dartmouth earlier this season, the Bears sought to make a name for themselves in the league by taking down the Crimson.

Harvard maintained the upper hand during much of the first half, peppering Brown’s goalkeeper, Shannon McSweeney ’15, with shots. Still, McSweeney remained resolute, allowing no goals during the first half.

It was only during the second half, in the 51st minute, that Alexis Miller ’16 recorded an unassisted goal. But with six minutes remaining on the clock, the Crimson countered with an equalizing point of their own.

In overtime, Brown’s high-scoring duo, Meghan O’Donnell ’15 and Hannah Rogers ’16, struck to seal the victory for the Bears. Off a pass from O’Donnell, Rogers slapped the ball past Harvard’s keeper to give Brown its first Ivy victory of the season.

Captain Avery Burns ’14 said the win meant a great deal to the team. “We haven’t beaten Harvard since my freshman year,” Burns said. “It’s always great to beat Harvard.”

Up next

The team returns to play this Wednesday, hosting non-conference opponent Quinnipiac. Following that match, the Bears will play another out-of-conference rival, the University of Louisville, at home Sunday.

Burns said both contests will be “winnable games.”