See accompanying article.

1.  Do you approve or disapprove of the way Christina Paxson is handling her job as president of the University?

12.7% Strongly approve

34.8% Somewhat approve

24.2% No opinion

22.3% Somewhat disapprove

5.9% Strongly disapprove

2.  How much influence do you think students’ voices and opinions have on administrative decisions at the University?

7.3% Significant influence

49.0% Some influence

35.9% Little influence

5.6% No influence

2.2% Not sure

3.  Do you agree with the Corporation’s recent decision not to divest the University’s endowment assets from large U.S. coal companies?

9.5% Strongly agree

18.7% Somewhat agree

19.7% No opinion

22.1% Somewhat disagree

22.1% Strongly disagree

7.9% Not familiar enough to answer

4.  Do you support the stop-and-frisk policing policies enforced in New York City under Police Commissioner Ray Kelly?

1.2% Strongly support

6.6% Somewhat support

7.3% No opinion

21.9% Somewhat oppose

55.9% Strongly oppose

7.1% Not familiar enough to answer

5.  Please indicate whether you agree with the actions taken by student and community member protestors surrounding the canceled lecture by Ray Kelly last week.

Circulating a petition beforehand to cancel the lecture:

71.2% Agree

21.2% Disagree

7.5% Not sure

Protesting outside the building:

79.7% Agree

12.7% Disagree

7.7% Not sure

Causing the lecture to be shut down via protests inside the auditorium:

13.0% Agree

73.2% Disagree

13.8% Not sure

Methodology

Written questionnaires were administered to 863 undergraduates Nov. 4 in the lobby of J. Walter Wilson, the Sciences Library and the Stephen Robert ‘62 Campus Center during the day. The poll has a 3.1 percent margin of error with 95 percent confidence. The margin of error is 4.6 percent for the subset of males, 4.2 percent for the subset of females, 6.4 percent for first-years, 5.9 percent for sophomores, 7 percent for juniors, 5.7 percent for seniors, 4.8 percent for students receiving financial aid and 4.9 percent for students not receiving financial aid. All reported cross-tabulations are statistically significant.

Numbers may not add up to exactly 100 percent due to rounding.

The sample polled was demographically similar to the Brown undergraduate population as a whole. The sample was 55 percent female and 45 percent male. First-years made up 23 percent, sophomores were 28 percent, juniors accounted for 20 percent and seniors were 29 percent. Of those polled, 44 percent receive financial aid from Brown and 56 percent do not. Students reported all races with which they identify, with about 54 percent identifying as white, about 24 percent as Asian, about 9 percent as Hispanic, about 9 percent as black, about 1 percent as American Indian/Alaska Native, about 1 percent as Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander and 3 percent as other.

University News Editors Mathias Heller '15 and Eli Okun '15 coordinated the poll. Herald section editors, senior staff writers and other staff members conducted the poll.

Find results of previous polls at thebdh.org/poll.