Men’s hockey withers against Wildcats

Lamacchia ’15 tallied one goal and an assist, but the Bears still fell to the non-conference foe

Senior Staff Writer
Friday, November 15, 2013

The men’s hockey team fell to the University of New Hampshire 4-2 Tuesday in a non-conference matchup on the road. Bruno took an early lead before allowing four unanswered Wildcat goals.

“We were a little inconsistent,” said Head Coach Brendan Whittet ’94. “We were going pretty good in the first period, but then we gave up two quick ones. That kind of changed the momentum to (New Hampshire), and that carried over into the second.”

Massimo Lamacchia ’15 led the Bears (3-3-1, ECAC 1-2-1), scoring his first goal in his second game of the season followed by an assist late in the game. Goalie Marco De Filippo ’14 ended the game with 37 saves.

Lamacchia put the Bears on the board midway through the first period. After Wildcat goalie Jeff Wyer turned away Lamacchia’s first attempt, Mark Naclerio ’16 gathered the rebound and passed it to Lamacchia, who found the back of the net.

“(Lamacchia is) the epitome of a team guy,” Whittet said. “I was proud of him — that he came in and was ready to go. He’s earned an opportunity to get more playing time, that’s for sure.”

New Hampshire (4-5-1) dominated the scoring for the rest of the game. Later in the first period, Nick Sorkin and Grayson Downing each beat De Fillipo in a span of two minutes, taking the Wildcats into the locker room with a 2-1 lead.

The second period stayed score-free until the last few seconds of the frame. After Bruno killed two New Hampshire power plays earlier in the period, Jeff Silengo scored with just 13 ticks left on the clock, giving the Wildcats a 3-1 lead after two periods.

“Kind of a cardinal rule in hockey is to not give up any goals in the first or last two minutes of any period,” Whittet said. “We’ve made a habit of that lately.”

Kevin Goumas added the Wildcats’ fourth score midway through the final period, beating De Filippo from the right side.

Matt Lorito ’15 brought Bruno back to within two goals of the Wildcats with his fourth score of the season late in the game. Lamacchia and Mike Juola ’14 provided the assists.

Despite outshooting New Hampshire 11-10 in the third period, the Bears could not cut the deficit further.

“We had a great third period, but we were playing catch up,” Whittet said. “That’s not any way to consistently win games against elite level teams.”

Bruno spent its smallest amount of time in the penalty box on the season with only six minutes. This number has been on the decline since the contest against Quinnipiac last weekend.

New Hampshire outshot the Bears 41-26 on the game.

The Bears will have the weekend off and return to action Nov. 22 and 23 on the road against Cornell (3-2-1, 1-2-1) and Colgate University (4-6-1, 2-2-0).

The time off will allow Nick Lappin ’16, Ryan Jacobson ’15, Brandon Pfeil ’16 and Joey de Concilys ’15 to recover from undisclosed injuries that have held them out of the lineup for the past few games.

“My hope is that the majority of those guys will be able to go next Friday at Cornell,” Whittet said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *