UCS expresses support for student on Corporation

Council votes unanimously to back resolution, with no members voicing concerns

The Undergraduate Council of Students passed a resolution in support of the student group working to add an undergraduate representative to the Corporation at its general body meeting Wednesday. 

UCS President Todd Harris ’14.5 will present the document entitled “UCS Statement of Support for Students on the Corporation” to the Corporation, the University’s highest governing body, at its May meeting.

After considering the resolution for around 20 minutes, the Council members unanimously approved the measure.

The paragraph-length document is meant to show general UCS support, rather than provide a blueprint outlining the specific steps the Council will take to further the group’s goals, Harris said. “It makes a more powerful statement to say that we’re all behind an issue that we want to work with the Corporation on solving,” he added.

“This is something that everyone can get on board with and say is important,” said Alex Drechsler ’15, chair of the UCS Student Activities committee, leader of the student group pursuing an undergraduate Corporation representative and UCS vice presidential candidate. “Details are something that we can figure out in the future,” he added.

Though the Council’s decision serves as an indicator of undergraduate support, the group also plans on reaching out to the Graduate Student Council and the Medical Student Senate to solicit additional student input and support. These interactions with other student governments could generate more material to present to the Corporation at its October meeting.

The Council also passed a resolution endorsing the goals of Inertia, a student group aiming to support students of color studying science, technology, engineering and mathematics.