Experienced volleyball squad shoots for Ivy’s top tier

After last year’s third-place finish, Bears have leadership to make another jump

The women’s volleyball team is heading west this weekend, taking its talents to the San Diego State University Aztec Invitational.

California native Maryl Vanden Bos ’15 said this early tournament “really accelerated how quickly we started playing” during the preseason weeks.

This year’s practices have been more targeted than those of last year’s preseason, focusing on helping the players develop specific skills, Vanden Bos said. For example, the team had a practice devoted to serving, a skill which the players can then incorporate into a game setting, Vanden Bos said.

Both Vanden Bos and Taylor Bantle ’15 commented on how the team is working to build on last year’s 8-6 conference record and third-place Ivy League finish.

Bantle pinpointed the team’s chemistry as one of this season’s advantages for the squad. This connectedness translates into stronger gameplay because “you feel comfortable communicating with one another on the court,” Bantle said.

Both senior leaders expressed upbeat outlooks for the team and this season’s prospects. The Bears have “a lot of high impact players,” Vanden Bos said.

Brown has an “upperclassman-heavy team,” Bantle said, adding that this provides a wealth of experience.

This weekend presents the Bears with an opportunity to showcase their chemistry and experience on the court — and maybe dig up some wins in the process.