Sports Roundup: Sept. 9, 2014

Volleyball

The volleyball team returns many of the key pieces of last year’s much-improved, Ivy third-place team. But high-caliber competition in its opening weekend tournament in San Diego sent the squad home with four losses and zero wins. The University of San Diego, San Diego State University, Northwestern University and California State University at Fullerton manhandled the Bears, allowing Bruno to win just one set in the tournament.

Getting swept at San Diego was obviously not how the team envisioned starting the year, but it is far from panic time for Bruno volleyball fans. The past weekend’s competition from conferences like the Big Ten and Mountain West represent a higher talent tier than the Bears will see when they begin Ivy League play later in the season.

Maddie Lord ’15 and Payton Smith ’17 racked up 33 and 29 kills, respectively, returning to last year’s form as two of the team’s top hitters. The stars got back in the swing of things against some of the best teams in the country, so the volleyball team should still be a force when it returns home.

Men’s Golf

In the men’s golf team’s return to the course this weekend, Justin Miller ’15 captained the young squad to a total score of 592 and a ninth-place finish at the 10-team Navy Invitational.

Miller posted a 146 for the 36-hole invite, a finish that placed him 16th in the individual competition. Jack Wilson ’16 backed Miller with the team’s second-lowest posting, at 148.

The weekend tournament also provided a stage for the collegiate debuts of Kevin Li ’18 and Ben Warner ’18, with Li shooting a 150 and Warner posting a 152.