Goal in 89th minute lifts women's soccer to tie against Big Green

Katz ’16, Bears halt Dartmouth’s three-game winning streak with road tie in Ivy League opener

The women’s soccer team traveled this past Sunday to Hanover to take on the Dartmouth Big Green, finishing with a 1-1 draw — the Bears’ first draw of the season.

During the opening half, Dartmouth (3-2-2, 0-0-1 Ivy) outshot the squad 9-2. The Big Green later went on to score the first goal of the game in the 19th minute. Mallory Yant ’15 made a total of three saves during the first half, finishing off with a total of four for the game.

In the second half, the Bears (3-4-1, 0-0-1 Ivy) were able to overcome their previous offensive struggles. Bruno shot five times on goal following the first half. But Dartmouth’s early goal seemed likely to win them the game, until Mikela Waldman ’18 successfully crossed the ball to Erin Katz ’16, leading to a goal by Katz in the 89th minute that evened the score up at 1-1.

“I definitely think we had momentum going into OT,” said Kirsten Belinsky ’15. “Dartmouth thought they had the win until really late, and for us to be able to think about coming away with either a tie or a win was really motivating.”

The game headed into overtime, where Bruno’s shot total tripled the total amount of shots taken by the Big Green, 3-1.  But the Bears were unable to capitalize on their opportunities, as the game ended in a draw, 1-1.

“Of course we would always prefer a win, but to come back in the way we did was a big accomplishment, especially on the road,” Belinsky said.

This was Bruno’s first Ivy League contest of the season, as well as its first draw thus far. Dartmouth finished the game off with a 17-8 advantage in shots and dominated the Bears in corner kicks to the tune of  11-1.

“Coming away with a point is something we’re very happy about. Dartmouth was a strong team,” Belinsky said. “Every Ivy League game is a battle, and it just shows you have to battle until the very end.”

The Bears continue play this Wednesday, taking on the Bryant University Bulldogs (2-8-0) in an afternoon matchup.