Women's soccer downs Bobcats, turns to Tigers

Bears continue offensive success, put Quinnipiac away early with two goals in first 16 minutes

The women’s soccer team battled the Quinnipiac University Bobcats Tuesday and came away with a 2-0 victory, extending its undefeated streak to four games.

Bruno’s offense — averaging 1.4 goals per game — has been its strength all season, and it didn’t take the unit long to get going against the Bobcats. Five minutes into the game, Ella Warshauer ’17 placed the squad on the board and scored the first goal of her collegiate career. In the first half, the Bears’ shots were on target, as four of the seven total shots taken were on the mark.

Just 11 minutes after Warshauer’s first career goal, Bruno (4-4-2) tallied its second goal of the game. Sydney Calas ’17 scored at the 16th minute off a helper from Mikela Waldman ’18.

Waldman, an integral part of the powerful offense, posted assists on each of Bruno’s goals in the game.

For the squad, the midweek game acted as a tune-up for its upcoming two-game weekend.

“We just came out on Tuesday night knowing that we were playing to get better for our competition this weekend,” said Allie Reilly ’16.

The score did not change after the 16th minute, remaining at 2-0 for the rest of the match as the Bobcats (1-8-1) were unable to overcome their early struggles. After the first half of play, the Bears had outshot the Bobcats 7-3. The second half was a similar story, as Bruno outshot Quinnipiac 4-2.

“I think it was good for us to have a midweek game heading into Princeton,” Reilly said. “There’s no better preparation for an Ivy game than playing a 90-minute game against another opponent.”

The Bears will continue Ivy League play over the long weekend, traveling south to take on Princeton (3-3-3) Saturday and Marist College (1-7-3) on Columbus Day.

The Bears currently sit fifth in the conference but are only two points behind the leader. The matchup against the Tigers presents Bruno the opportunity to move past Princeton and perhaps a couple more Ivy foes in the standings.

“We’re all really excited to get out on the road this weekend to take on Princeton,” Reilly said. “It’s week three of competition in the Ivy League, and everyone is still in the running to win it. It’s a great feeling to know you’re in control of your own outcome in the league.”