Felon arrested for alum assault

47-year-old convict Salvatore Romano previously sentenced to 40 years on robbery charges

A man suspected to have assaulted a Brown alum near the intersection of Waterman Street and Gano Street last Wednesday night has been apprehended by the Providence Police Department, the Providence Journal reported Monday.

The accused — 47-year-old Salvatore Romano — is a convicted felon recently released on parole, according to the Journal.

Romano was arrested last Thursday night. He and an accomplice, Christopher Goodwin, crashed a stolen vehicle while attempting to evade police after robbing a Shell gas station, leading to their arrests. Romano has an extensive criminal history. He has been sentenced to a total of 40 years in prison for a number of robbery charges, according to the Journal article.

Though the victim reported that the perpetrator said, “You’re coming with me,” the Providence Police plan to amend the charges, Major David Lapatin said. “We’re going to change (the abduction charge) to assault with attempt to rob,” Lapatin said.

Paul Shanley, deputy chief of police for the Department of Public Safety, said this incident does not reflect an upward trend in the amount of crime happening around campus, calling it “out of the ordinary.”