Drug overdoses at Wesleyan put 12 in hospital

A surge of apparent overdoses on the drug Molly swept across Wesleyan University’s campus Sunday, with ten students and two guests being hospitalized, the Wesleyan Argus reported. Five students were still being treated at Hartford Hospital and Middlesex Hospital Monday evening, the New York Times reported.

Overdoses on the drug, also known as MDMA or Ecstasy, were reported from three locations: two dormitories and a program house, the Argus reported.

The university notified students of the hospitalizations in a wave of emails, the Times reported. To prevent more overdoses, Vice President for Student Affairs at Wesleyan Michael Whaley urged students to “check in” with friends, the Times reported.

Middletown Chief of Police William McKenna told the Times the students likely obtained a “bad batch” of the drug.

U. of Illinois student charged with movie-inspired sexual assault

Mohammad Hossain, a 19-year-old student-athlete and leader at the University of Illinois at Chicago, was charged with sexually assaulting a 19-year-old female student, the Chicago Tribune reported Tuesday. He allegedly told authorities that he was role-playing scenes from the recent blockbuster “Fifty Shades of Grey,” the Tribune reported.

Prosecutors said Hossain and the student were in his dorm room Saturday night when he undressed, bound, blindfolded and beat the female student with a belt, the Tribune reported.

Assistant State’s Attorney Sarah Karr said the female student told Hossain to stop and was crying, the Tribune reported. After she managed to free her arms, he allegedly continued to sexually assault her, the Tribune reported.

Cook County Public Defender Sandra Bennewitz testified in court that Hossain said the act was “consensual,” the Tribune reported.

The Cook County judge set Hossain’s bail at $500,000.

Three injured in Bethune-Cookman shooting

Three students were injured Monday evening when two gunmen fired three shots near a music building at Bethune-Cookman University in Daytona Beach, Florida, Click Orlando reported Monday.

None of the injuries were fatal, Click Orlando reported. All three injuries were grazing wounds, with bullets brushing the victims’ shoulder, knee and ear, respectively. One student required stitches, the second did not need treatment and the third refused treatment, Click Orlando reported.

Police released a video of the shooting Tuesday evening showing one suspect in a black SUV. The victims seemed to be innocent bystanders, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

No suspects have been charged, and the University offered a $1,000 reward for providing information on the shooters, Click Orlando reported.