Athletes break into program record books at Princeton invitational

Though blustery conditions affect competition, men’s and women’s teams find success, podium spots

The men’s and women’s track and field teams continued outdoor competition last weekend, as they traveled to Princeton for the Sam Howell Invitational. Multiple competitors, both male and female, finished in podium positions, with a few setting new personal- and school-best results.

The women shone both on the track and in the field. Taylor Worthy ’17 won the 1500-meter run with a time of 4:39.22, while co-captain Alex Stanton ’15 finished in 1:02.17 to win the 400-meter hurdles. Rachel Van Metre ’16 also had a strong showing in hurdles, finishing second in the 100-meter in 14.16 seconds.

Natalie Schudrowitz ’18 and Lucy Van Kleunen ’17 finished second and third in the 3000-meter steeplechase. The two underclassmen ended up with times of 10:19.49 and 10:25.25 respectively, marking the second- and third-best times in school history.

In the triple jump, three juniors stole the show. O’Sha Williams ’16 won the event with a new career-best of 40 feet and 1/2 inches, while Uzoamaka Okoro ’16 followed in second with a jump of 38 feet and 11.5 inches and Chelsie Churchill ’16 came in third with a jump of 38 feet and 10.5 inches — a new personal best.

Josie Natrasevschi ’18 set a top 10 school record in the shot put with a second-place throw of 44 feet and 10.25 inches. In the discus throw, Kebbeh Darpolor ’16 eclipsed her previous personal best with a toss of 165 feet and 10 inches. This also earned her the fourth-best throw in school history. Meanwhile, Natrasevschi grabbed third with a toss of 157 feet and eight inches.

On the men’s side, Tosin Oyewole ’18 ended up in third in the 200-meter dash with a time of 21.78 seconds. Zachery Emrich ’18 also notched a third-place finish, completing the 400-meter dash with a time of 49.85 seconds.

In the field, Mark Buda ’17 emerged victorious in the javelin throw with a distance of 188 feet and 10 inches. Phuong Truong ’16 finished second in discus with a throw of 162 feet and 10 inches, and Taylor Alarcon ’17 placed second in the triple jump with a leap of 45 feet and three inches. In the hammer throw event, Matthew O’Hara ’16 threw the seventh-best distance in Brown history with a heave of 188 feet and eight inches, leaving him in fifth in the competition.

The outdoor conditions were not ideal for the athletes this weekend, as heavy winds plagued the competitors.

“Intense wind like this weekend really affects the way we compete,” said women’s co-captain Mo Akande ’16. “I am really proud of us for staying competitive in the conditions. Also, shout out to my girl O’Sha Williams for breaking 40 feet in the triple jump.”

The team hopes to maintain its momentum next weekend when it hosts the Brown Invitational April 11.