Recent crimes include fatal shooting, burglary attempt

Man attempting to steal laptop obstructed by student, locked in room until police arrive

The following is an account of crime events that took place this month, reported to The Herald by Deputy Chief of Police for the Department of Public Safety Paul Shanley:

Nguyen ’16 finds home intruder

Eric Nguyen ’16 intercepted an attempted robbery at his house Sept. 5 by tackling the burglar and forcing him into a bedroom until authorities arrived.

Nguyen had just returned to his home at 204 Angell St. when he heard rustling coming from the living room.

“I go out to check if it’s my friends … but it’s just some random dude digging through a bag and pulling out a laptop,” Nguyen said.

Nguyen said the burglar tried to convince him he was inside the house to meet his girlfriend. Nguyen then “threw him up against the wall” and “confronted” him  about his intent to rob them.

Before calling the cops, Nguyen dragged the burglar to his room, grabbed a knife and held the door shut until authorities came to the scene around 10:30 p.m. Nguyen said the robber attempted to escape the room through the window but was stopped by the burglar bars placed on the outside.

Nguyen said he thought he was home alone, but his roommate was actually asleep in the room next door, where she remained asleep for the entire incident.

The burglar, who has since been identified as Hakeem Saygbe of 15 Wendell St., was able to enter the house through the front door, as the lock had been broken earlier that week.

“We do encourage making sure that you lock your doors when you leave and that you have secured your property,” Shanley said, adding that he advises students living off campus to contact their landlords when locks or windows break.

Saygbe was charged with breaking and entering.

Man found dead after Fox Point shooting

A 38 year-old man was found dead after a shooting at the intersection of Trenton and Ives streets Saturday.

Police were dispatched around 1 a.m. to the site, where they found the victim, Kyle Machado, on the ground suffering from a gunshot wound, according to Lindsay Lague, a spokesperson for the Providence Police Department.

A rescue team transported Machado to Rhode Island Hospital, where he later died, Lague said.

A makeshift memorial has been placed at the corner of Trenton and Ives as the police continue their investigation.

“We understand that there might be some concern or questions at this time,” Shanley said. “We want to make sure that we continue to patrol and be as visible as we have been in order to deter crime.”

This is the 12th homicide case in Providence this year, according to police records.