Athlete of the week: Murvitz-Lahav ’17 leads Bears over Dartmouth, Harvard to claim Ivy title

Junior’s two hat tricks in two games boost Bruno over Harvard and Dartmouth

With an undefeated conference record and just three losses overall, the men’s water polo team traveled to Princeton this weekend to participate in the Ivy League Championships. The Bears (15-3, 8-0 CWPA) faced off against Dartmouth and Harvard in the semifinal and final contests, respectively, securing decisive victories against both to claim the 2015 Ivy title.

The win marked the second time Bruno has claimed the title since the tournament began in 2010 and the third time the Bears have defeated the Crimson this season. Following last weekend’s contests, Brown has overtaken Princeton in national rankings and now sits at 11th.

Yahel Murvitz-Lahav ’17 has been instrumental to the team’s efforts this season and especially this weekend. Murvitz-Lahav led Bruno in goals during the tournament, recording a hat trick in each of the tournament’s matches.

For his dominant performance at the Ivy League Championships, Murvitz-Lahav has been named The Herald’s Athlete of the Week.

Herald: When did you start playing water polo?

Murvitz-Lahav: When I was six, so almost 18 years ago.

What made you want to play?

I went to a swimming summer course and my instructor was a water polo player. He asked my parents if I wanted to play, and they said that I wanted to.

What is your favorite part about being a member of Brown’s men’s water polo team?

It’s definitely the people. They’ve been my best friends since day one. Also it’s a good time during the week or during the day to take your mind off school and stress. It’s just you, your team and the game.

How did it feel to win the Ivy League title?

It was really fun. Last year we made it to the finals, but we lost. But this year we were able to win, and it was good. It’s not our biggest title of the year. We have two more: There’s the CWPA Northern Division Championship, and then if we win that, we go to the NCAA. But it’s definitely a nice small step to have on the way to bigger things.

What are your thoughts on the rest of the season?

I’m very excited. We have a very good team this year, and we have seen the competition, and I think we are more than capable of going at least as far as we did last year and hopefully making it to the final four.

What is training like?

It’s every day, on Tuesdays and Thursdays it’s twice a day. A lot of conditioning and a lot of shooting — working on teamwork. It’s fun.

Do you have any pregame rituals?

I listen to music. The song that I listened to for a very long time was “Snow” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but now I listen to an Israeli artist.

— This interview has been edited for length and clarity.