Brown unveils Palestinian Studies fellowship

Postdoctoral fellow to focus on scholarship on Palestine, not Israeli-Palestinian conflict

Staff Writer
Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The Department of Middle East Studies has introduced a new postdoctoral fellowship in Palestinian Studies as part of the new initiative “New Directions in Palestinian Studies.” The initiative seeks to “take stock of the scholarship produced on the Palestinians over the past generation,” said Beshara Doumani, director of Middle East Studies.

Doumani stressed that the department was spurred to introduce the fellowship by a desire to further scholarship on Palestine, rather than by current events in the region such as the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

“There has reached a critical mass of knowledge in terms of quality and quantity in a way that’s never existed before, and this is the first initiative ever in this country that attempts to in a way build infrastructure for professionalization of this field,” he said.

A key priority in the University’s recently announced BrownTogether comprehensive campaign is investments in people, including postdoctoral fellows, particularly those from historically underrepresented groups.

The new fellowship will advance the department’s goal of joining “established and emerging scholars” to evaluate Palestine in the hopes of “shaping future studies on this topic,” Doumani said.

The fellow’s responsibilities will mirror those of postdoctoral fellows in other departments. The fellow will teach one course, work on research and have the option of transforming his or her dissertation into a monograph — a combination of a dissertation and a book.

As another part of the initiative, the fellow will help organize the University’s annual symposium on Palestinian studies and bring another perspective to the event. The Department of Middle East Studies has already held two conferences affiliated with “New Directions in Palestinian Studies” on campus.

In 2014, the conference “Political Economy and Economy of the Political” sought to examine “studies of Palestine that operate from the framework of political economy,” Doumani said. More recently, the 2015 conference “Political Cultures and the Cultures of Politics” aimed to “push the political beyond its conventional boundaries through both materialist and discursive analyses of political culture and the culture of politics,” according to the conference’s website.

This area is a “flourishing field of study” that the department wants to explore in greater depth, said Adi Ophir, visiting professor of humanities and Middle East studies.

The department expects 70 to 100 applications for the position, Doumani said. Successful applicants will apply their research on Palestine to “a larger set of issues that are both comparative and global,” he said.

The department welcomes applicants from a range of disciplines and perspectives, Ophir said.

Clarification: Due to an editing error, a previous version of this article implied that Director of Middle East Studies Beshara Doumani said the fellowship focuses on scholarship on Palestine, rather than on current events in the region. In fact, the fellowship could be used to focus on current events in the region, though its creation was spurred by a desire to further scholarship on Palestine generally.

1. BigSticksWalkSoftly says:

What a great opportunity to coalesce the newfound knowledge and scholarship surrounding Palestine Studies in order to promote and develop the further professionalization of the field; which is desperately lacking in the US

2. So they gonna stage knife fights on Thayer. Well done, Brunonia!

3. Larry A Singleton says:

Liberals have completely destroyed our education system. That’s why our universities, (and now our schools, thanks to Common Core), are full out Indoctrination Centers. We have gone from the Greatest Generation to the Generation of Degenerates.

Looking back at this video, which I remember from way back, it is even more awesome now than ever…God Bless America.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.dyess/videos/10152189600182466/

The Least Free Place in America (Prager University You Tube video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJaM8IOev7E

Read The War Against Boys: How Misguided Feminism Is Harming Our Young Men by Christina Hoff Sommers.

War on Boys (Prager U. You Tube Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFpYj0E-yb4

Watch: Angry Parents Stand Up To (the sick, degenerate) School Board Over Lessons On ‘Gay Marriage’; Room Erupts (Western Journalism)

http://www.westernjournalism.com/watch-angry-parents-stand-up-to-school-board-over-lessons-on-gay-marriage-room-erupts/

VIDEO: Mom Only Needs A Few Minutes To DESTROY Common Core… Spread This Everywhere (Conservative Tribune)

http://conservativetribune.com/mom-destory-common-core/

Indoctrination U: The Left’s War Against Academic Freedom and The Professors: The 101 Most Dangerous Academics in America by David Horowitz

“Indoctrinate U.” Watch This Documentary!!! (You Tube Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHyvRHrYYBA

Ivory Towers On Sand: The Failure of Middle Eastern Studies in America by Martin Kramer–The Political Nature of Today’s Middle East Studies

Until Proven Innocent: Political Correctness and the Shameful Injustices of the Duke Lacrosse Rape Case by Stuart Taylor Jr. and KC Johnson. (Read this after you’ve read Indoctrination U.)

Culture of Corruption: Obama and His Team of Tax Cheats, Crooks and Cronies by Michelle Malkin

Plunder: How Public Employee (Teachers, city and county, cops and fire…) Unions Are Raiding Treasuries, Controlling Our Lives and Bankrupting the Nation by Steven Greenhut

Teachers Unions vs. Students

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG8w9PcA-ig

Everybody should watch the first twenty minutes of Lean On Me. (Not the You Tube version)

Millions of Saudi dollars are being poured into universities:

$10 Million Saudi Yale Gift the Tip of a $100 Billion Iceberg by Elliot Friedland. A Saudi gift to Yale of $10 million is a small part of the $100 billion the Saudis have spent on Wahhabism and Islamism in institutions worldwide

http://www.clarionproject.org/analysis/10-million-saudi-yale-gift-tip-100-billion-iceberg

Peggy Hubbard: From my heart! (Spread Far and Wide)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG7mZQvaQDk

VIDEO – Peggy Hubbard New FOLLOW UP Reply to Viral Black Lives Matter Video – ST. LOUIS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b35fRDwU-8

Australian School Answering Machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0yW84xqKd0

This humorous video plays an alleged actual answering machine message at an Australian school after it instituted a policy that parents and students take responsibility for student failures. While this is quite funny, it is, also, sad because, in many cases, it is so true.

CLASSROOMS UN-Frigging-Believable

This is what happens when this corrupt administration says you are not allowed to discipline black kids in school….Disgraceful!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/derk.brown.5/videos/506637356164715/?fref=nf

4. Larry A Singleton says:

The Disqus format is absolute crapola. Who needs to see the giant thumbnails? And I have to “filter” comments I paste through WordPad. What a joke.

• ShadrachSmith says:

You are doing it wrong. Disqus is my comment forum of choice. Spend some time learning the medium, then you will like it better. Good stuff from FIRE 🙂

• Larry A Singleton says:

Yeah, (and if this website doesn’t censor my previous comment); Add to THAT Facebook’s comment feature is on half the websites on the Internet. And if these fascists arbitrarily block you for using the wrong word that means you can’t post comments on websites that use their comment feature……for Thirty Freaking DAYS! So I don’t understand that “Disqus is my comment forum of choice” comment. You really DON’T have a lot of choices on the Internet; All your “choices” are either forced down your throat or only available via your wallet.

• Larry A Singleton says:

So your answer is to load up my laptop with more incompatible “stuff”.

I’ve already got Google Chrome. I had to do that because ads on Internet Explorer slow my laptop down to crawl in addition to a hundred other problems. And Chrome is loaded with a legion of its own problems.

So what? Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Mozilla, Internet Explorer, Safari? Do I load all these up to deal with every little idiosyncrasy and technical issue?

I guess it’s too much trouble to introduce some kind of standards. Instead of the Frankenstein’s monster that is this unholy mess that is Internet “browsers”.

They took away our antennas and inflicted us with an obscene cable bill in addition to splitting THAT up and charging extra for every little “Premium Channel”, TV reruns and classic movies.

But I guess you’re just of those “there’s nothing you can do about it” people who don’t squawk when everybody and their brother is now @!$%ing us in the behind: So bend over and more power to you.

“It’s Time to Break Up AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner (and CHARTER!) and the Rest of the Telecoms.” AlterNet / By David Rosen and Bruce Kushnick
        Today’s telecoms provide overpriced and inferior service, and are systematically overcharging the hapless American consumer.
        alternet.org/news/150752/it’s_time_to_break_up_at%26t,%C2%A0verizon,_comcast,_time_warner_and_the_rest_of_the_telecoms/

“How the Phone Companies Are Screwing America: The $320 Billion Broadband Rip-Off” AlterNet / By David Rosen and Bruce Kushnick
        Americans are stuck with an inferior and overpriced communications system, compared with the rest of the world, and we’re being ripped off in the process.
        alternet.org/story/148397/how_the_phone_companies_are_screwing_america:_the_$320_billion_broadband_rip-off?page=entire

When AT&T promises broadband—but delivers only 300kbps
        For new homeowners, accurate information from Internet providers is hard to find.
        http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/04/when-att-promises-broadband-but-delivers-only-300kbps/

5. ·
    There is no “Palestine”. There might have been, but they chose war instead-
    time and again:

The would-have-been “Palestinians” would have had a state IN PEACE in 1937 with the
    Peel Plan, but they violently rejected it.

They would have had a state IN PEACE in 1939 with the MacDonald White Paper, but
    they violently rejected it (and Jews would have even been restricted from BUYING land from Arabs).

They would have had a state IN PEACE in 1948 with UN 181, but they violently
    rejected it (and actually claimed that the UN had no such mandate!).

They could have had a state IN PEACE in Judea, Samaria, and Gaza from 1948-1967
    without any Jews- because the Arabs had ethnically cleansed every last one; but
    they violently rejected it. In fact, that’s exactly when they established Fatah
    (1959) and the PLO (1964).

They could have had a state IN PEACE after 1967, but instead, the entire Arab world
    issued the Khartoum Resolutions:

A. No peace with Israel

B. No recognition of Israel

C. No negotiations with Israel

They would have had a state IN PEACE in 2000 with the Oslo Accords, but they
    violently rejected it- as always.

And as soon as Israel pulled every single Israeli out of Gaza, what did the
    would-have-been “Palestinians” do? They immediately started shooting thousands
    of missiles into Israeli population centers, they elected Hamas (whose official
    platform calls for jihad with no negotiations until Israel is destroyed) to
    rule them, and they have dug tunnels crossing into the Negev to kill and kidnap
    Israelis.

And even afterwards, Ehud Olmert made his subsequent generous offer that went far beyond even that of Barak. The would-have-been “Palestinians” rejected it.

They had many chances.

They threw them all away because destroying Israel was higher on their priority
    list. It still is.

Oh well. That’s their choice.

6. Wonderful. Palestinian studies. Aside from violence, hate, terror, suicide bombs and intifadas, what is there to study about this “nation” that has never existed?

7. SeeThroughYou says:

The Palestinian people does not exist. The creation of a Palestinian state is only a means for continuing our struggle against the state of Israel for our Arab unity. In reality today there is no difference between Jordanians, Palestinians, Syrians and Lebanese. Only for political and tactical reasons do we speak today about the existence of a Palestinian people, since Arab national interests demand that we posit the existence of a distinct “Palestinian people” to oppose Zionism. For tactical reasons, Jordan, which is a sovereign state with defined borders, cannot raise claims to Haifa and Jaffa, while as a Palestinian, I can undoubtedly demand Haifa, Jaffa, Beer-Sheva and Jerusalem. However, the moment we reclaim our right to all of Palestine, we will not wait even a minute to unite Palestine and Jordan.

Zuheir Mohsen (1936–1979)Palestinian leader of the Syria-controlled as-Sa’iqa faction of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) between 1971 and 1979.

So I take it this is a Literary Fiction course?