Mandel to lead search for dean of admission

Administrators, faculty, students look for new dean to build on Jim Miller’s ’73 legacy

Dean of the College Maud Mandel will lead the search for a new dean of admission, announced Provost Richard Locke P’17 in a community-wide email Friday.

This announcement follows the news that Jim Miller ’73, the current dean of admission, will retire at the end of this academic year after more than a decade of service at Brown, which Locke announced in a community-wide email Jan. 19.

“Miller has had a strong impact on Brown and the undergraduate population. The University has changed in a lot of good ways in the years that he has been at the helm,” Mandel said.

Mandel said the committee will look for someone “who will build on (Miller’s) legacy” and further develop several initiatives he has guided, including diversifying the student body, maintaining academic excellence and creating balance among  student enrollment in science, technology, engineering and math courses, the humanities and the social sciences.

“When (the admission office) goes out and looks for students, it can look for the kinds of students that we think will fit well into the priorities of the University,” Mandel said.

Mandel hopes to have the position filled by the summer of 2016, though the search could take longer.

While having broad representation across different departments is critical for the committee, having too many members can be cumbersome, Mandel said. “There’s a balance between representation and practicality.”

The search committee will include members of the administration, including Mary Grace Almandrez, interim assistant vice president for campus life and student services, Maitrayee Bahttacharyya, associate dean of the College for diversity programs, Athletics Director Jack Hayes and James Tilton, director of financial aid. The committee will also include faculty members, including Julianne Ip, clinical associate professor of family medicine; Emily Oster, associate professor of economics as well as international and public affairs; David Rand, professor of natural history and chair of ecology and evolutionary biology; and Chris Rose, professor of engineering. The Undergraduate Council of Students will select two undergraduate students to also sit on the committee.