Chinese Language Week

The Department of East Asian Studies is hosting Chinese Language Week, five nights of festivities starting with a celebration of the Chinese New Year Monday. Throughout the week there will be film screenings, language sessions and a Chinese tea time ceremony. The week aims to bring together students in understanding Chinese culture through a cinematic experience supplemented with active discussion. By combining language and tradition, students will have the opportunity to grasp what it means to be Chinese.

How to Unmake an American Quilt

An exhibition by Katie Hargrave and Amber Ginsburg in the gallery of the Sarah Doyle Women’s Center aims to break down the utility of labor and the blending of gender roles through sculptures and research. The works bring a poetic and quiet activist encouragement for an egalitarian, just labor system. The exhibit will be on display until Feb. 27.

Black History Month Film Series

Through the month of February, the Center for the Study of Slavery and Justice and the Providence Community Library will host four film screenings focusing on the history of black identity and activism in America. A conversation regarding the major themes of Black History Month will follow each screening. The CSSJ and PCL screened “Ghosts of Amistad” Feb. 1 and “Belle” Feb. 8; they will show “Nightjohn” Feb. 18 and “Selma” Feb. 29.

Slave Shackles Exhibit

A pair of slave shackles, loaned by the International Slavery Museum in Liverpool, England can be found on display in the John Hay Library. The shackles were used to transport captured Africans to the Americas for slavery as part of the middle passage in the transatlantic slave trade. The exhibit will be on display until March 13.