Sorority rush bids reach record numbers

Sororities increase maximum bid totals to over 60, accept unprecedented number of new members

Staff Writer
Friday, February 19, 2016

A record-high 293 female-identifying undergraduates participated in sorority recruitment this past weekend, said Emily Serrano ’17, president of the Panhellenic Council. Of these 293 potential new members, 188 received invitations to join one of the three sororities on campus — Alpha Chi Omega, Kappa Delta and Kappa Alpha Theta.

AXO and KD each gave out 63 bids — the maximum number of bids a sorority at Brown can extend — while Theta offered 62. Fifty-four, 63 and 61 girls accepted their offers from AXO, KD and Theta, respectively. In 2015, about 44 girls were offered bids to each house.

During recruitment, which took place Feb. 12-15, all three sororities hosted parties. During bid night Feb. 15, sororities offered potential new members invitations to join.

Registration for sorority recruitment opened Dec. 2, and the Panhellenic Council hosted information sessions in December, January and February to provide potential new members with information about the recruitment process, the houses and the philanthropic efforts in which each sorority is involved.

According to Serrano, increased interest in joining a sorority among female-identifying undergraduates has allowed for Greek life’s recent expansion, most visibly embodied by the emergence of KD three years ago.

Camila Lupi ’19, a new recruit to Theta, attributes her interest in joining Greek life to the strength of the support systems within the sorority network. “I wanted to join Greek life because I had met really cool people at Brown, but I still felt that I lacked a sense of community that I had in high school with my friends,” Lupi said. “I really wanted to have a group of friends that I could text if I was having a bad day or a place I could go for support.”

“The rush process was a lot less stressful than I imagined,” said Winnie Fan ’19. “It was a great way to meet and talk to people.”

The “mutual matching process” — the system by which students’ preferences are matched with sororities’ choices — has been computerized to maximize the chance that everyone receives her first choice, Serrano said.

Lupi was matched with Theta, her first choice. “When I went to the parties at Theta, I just immediately clicked with a lot of the girls. The conversations I had with them were on things that I was genuinely interested and passionate about,” she said.

1. I’m out of date, and there were no sororities at Brown (Pembroke) when I was there. Where are they now housed ?

• I graduated several years before KD came on campus so I don’t know where they are but all greek council houses are on Wriston Quad. AXO is in Sears House (Phi Psi was on the opposite end of the building) and Theta is in Diman House.

2. Are you seriously going to start referring to people as “female-identifying” and “male-identifying” from here on? When are the sports teams going to be the female-identifying soccer team and the male-identifying soccer team, for example? When is this lunacy going to end? Why does everyone have to bend over backwards to accommodate such an incredibly tiny fraction of a percent of people? What about people that identify as both: where do you classify them? Could these “multi-identifiers” rush sororities and fraternities at the same time? Instead, just call them “women” (how about that!) and if someone is a “female-identifier” and wants to rush, then they’ll get the hint that that includes them, too. Honestly, political correctness is so infantile that it is totally laughable at this point.

• Ironically, female-identifying and male-identifying would be less PC to me. Female and male refer to sexual identity, not gender identity. A transwoman cannot identify as female. She can (and does) identify as a woman/girl though.

• so for example the first sentence should just be “A record-high 293 women participated in sorority recruitment this past weekend, said Emily Serrano ’17, president of the Panhellenic Council.”

And then later: “According to Serrano, increased interest in joining a sorority among women at Brown has allowed for Greek life’s recent expansion, most visibly embodied by the emergence of KD three years ago.”

Interestingly, the article uses “girls” in between those two lines: “Fifty-four, 63 and 61 girls accepted their offers from AXO, KD and Theta, respectively. In 2015, about 44 girls were offered bids to each house.”

• This is what happens when Social Justice activity is put before academics, People who have not studied English, Logic and Economics get bullied into accepting a ridiculous argument from others who are half educated.

3. I hope Brown is happy that they are the laughing-stock of the country with this kind of nonsense, lunacy, whatever, now combined with these stories of how Brown students are too busy dealing with social justice issues to do their homework — it’s all over the media. What a disgrace Brown has become. I know it’s not just Brown, and that’s all over the country, but frankly, what a disgrace “higher” education has become in so many places. President Paxson: it’s time to actually do something significant instead of reparations and the other infantile matters that the school spends so much time on. How about more of the basics such as reading, writing, and arithmetic?

4. 4OurMissBrooks says:

“Female-identifying”? Really? Are you telling us that the three sororities accept “female-identifying” males?