Sports Roundup: Feb. 29, 2016

Men’s Swimming and Diving

Five record-breaking performances were not enough to sustain Bruno this weekend at the Ivy League Championship. Hosting the three-day event at the Katherine Moran Coleman Aquatics Center, the men’s swimming and diving team finished seventh out of the Ancient Eight teams with 672 points.

The first night of competition was bookended with historic feats from Riley Springman ’18 and Willy Lee ’18. Springman opened the competition by cutting off 0.2 seconds from his best time — which was also the program record — in the 200-meter individual medley. The performance was good enough for 14th place overall. Leading off the 400-meter relay, Lee swam his leg in record time, but the relay still finished seventh.

The other three records were broken in the second day of the competition, and two came in the same event. The 100-meter breaststroke was the most contested event of the day, with the top program time broken three times on Saturday alone. Outside of a preliminary time, both Christopher Meyers ’16 and Connor Lohman ’17 bested the 54.75 time that Meyers set last season. Meyers’ time of 54.35 Saturday became the fastest performance in Brown history, while Lohman’s finish leaves him second in the program’s record books. The 200-meter relay also set a new record, shaving just under a second off its fastest time.

Women’s Lacrosse

After posting two impressive wins against Iona and Central Connecticut to open the 2016 season, the women’s lacrosse team fell to Denver Saturday by a 5-3 decision. Last week’s games showcased Bruno’s (2-1) ability to generate effective offense, but the Pioneers’ (2-2) defense proved to be too much for the Bears — the squad was held to just three goals in the contest, a stark contrast from the 21 combined goals Bruno posted in its previous two games. 

In contrast, Denver was quick to get on the scoreboard, scoring two goals within the first 10 minutes of the game. The dry spell finally broke halfway through the first period, as the Bears finally tallied their first point thanks to a goal from Grace Plassche ’19 off an assist from Kerianne Hunt ’17. But Denver scored again before the first half ended, handing Bruno a two-goal deficit going into halftime.

In a similar fashion to the first stanza, the Pioneers came out strong and scored to widen the gap. But about two minutes later, Lauren Toy ’16 scored an unassisted goal in an attempt to turn the tide. The rest of the game proceeded in a seesawing fashion as Denver scored again, but Toy answered, this time with some help from Emma Dahle ’17. Ultimately, the rally was not enough, and the Pioneers were able to stave off Bruno and hand the squad its first loss of the season.

Track and Field

As spring slowly but surely approaches, the indoor season for the men’s and women’s track and field teams begins to draw to a close. In one of their final indoor events of the season, the teams competed in the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships at Cornell this weekend. Several strong performances landed the women with a fifth place finish, while the men came in sixth.

On the track Saturday, Ryan Kelly ’16 and Tosin Oyewole ’18 notched third and fourth place finishes, respectively, in the 200-meter race. On the women’s side, Natalie Schudrowitz ’18 finished less than a second behind the first-place finisher from Dartmouth in the 3,000-meter race.

In the field, Owen Russell ’19 set a new personal best in the weight throw. Maxine Offiaeli ’18 also threw her best toss for the women’s team.

Next up for the Bears is the IC4A Championships.