Athlete of the week: Alexander ’16 hits 1,000-point milestone

After scoring 1,018 points in less than three full seasons, Alexander ’16 will play at FGCU next year

Guard and women’s basketball captain Jordin Alexander ’16 has been working her way into Bruno’s history books since she put on the uniform three years ago. And against Columbia last Friday, she made her place permanent. With a baseline jumper, she scored her 1,000th point as a Brown Bear and with 1,018 career points is tied for 17th in Brown history.

Alexander took the helm of the team this season, leading the Bears in scoring with 14.4 points per game and 3.6 assists per game. Coming off a strong junior season during which she averaged 15 points per game, Alexander became the Bears’ most dependable all-around player.

In fact, Alexander’s collegiate career is not over: She retains one year of eligibility, and will play at Florida Gulf Coast next season as a graduate student.

For her historic scoring in her last weekend as a Brown Bear, Alexander has been named The Herald’s Athlete of the Week.

Herald: First of all, scoring a thousand points, how much does that mean to you?

Alexander: It definitely meant something to me. I’m glad to have a team and coaches that were so supportive of me, and I’ve worked hard throughout these four years, so it was definitely meaningful to me.

And you accomplished this in about two and a half seasons. Did you miss some time?

My freshman year, I missed almost the whole season with mono. Then, my sophomore year, halfway through, I had stress fractures in both of my shins, so I was out for that as well. Junior and senior year, I actually got a full season in, no injuries, so it was good.

How would you describe your game? Do you model it after anyone?

I’ve always had that midrange-type game, not really a huge outside shooter. I’ve always looked up to Reggie Miller for the Pacers, he’s always been a really versatile player. He’s more of an outside shooter than I am, but his midrange game, kind of same body style — I kind of modeled it after that.

What did you think of the team this year?

We definitely struggled at times. We were really young this year, so that was definitely a challenge. I was really proud of how our team bounced back towards the end, especially losing so many games in the Ivies. We pulled it together this last weekend, so I was really proud of everyone. But again, we were really young, and you always go through growing pains and have to go through that transition period.

What do you think of the team’s chances going forward?

(The team’s) future is definitely very bright. There’s a lot of talent in that freshman class, and I know (Head Coach Sarah Behn) is bringing in a lot of talent in the incoming freshman class for next year. So having a year under their belt will definitely be beneficial and prove helpful down the road.

Can you sum up your career in Brown basketball?

Overall, it’s definitely been challenging, having a coaching change and everything, that’s always hard. But … I’ve had such great experiences and made so many friends. Some of my best friends are on this team, and those are going to be lifelong friendships, so I appreciate all that. Yeah — I’m going to miss my time here at Brown.