Student robbed at knifepoint on Meeting

Providence Police investigate Meeting Street robbery that occurred at 8:45 p.m. Monday

A student was assaulted and robbed March 21 while walking on Meeting Street between Prospect Street and Brown Street, according to a campus-wide email Monday from the Department of Public Safety.

At around 8:45 p.m., the victim was approached by an unidentified male who demanded the student’s wallet while holding a knife. The man was described as being approximately 5’9” and of average build. He was also described as having “dark hair, with a scruffy face” and wearing a gray, hooded sweatshirt with “Patriots” spelt across the chest, according to the email.

After the incident, the suspect was said to have fled westward down Meeting Street toward the downtown area. In response to the incident, DPS will increase the number of patrols in the area and encourages community members to follow its safety guidelines, especially when walking alone at night.

Deputy Chief of Police Paul Shanley declined to comment on the incident because the Providence Police Department has jurisdiction over the case.         

While it investigates the incident, the Providence Police Department asks that anyone with information contact it or the Brown Department of Public Safety, the email stated.

Lindsay Lague, a Providence Police Department spokeswoman, could not be reached for comment by press time.