Sports Roundup: April 11, 2016

Women’s Water Polo

The women’s water polo team played two games Saturday at George Washington, first defeating the host Colonials 17-12 before falling to Bucknell 13-9.

Marisa Kolokotronis ’17 led the pack with a weekend total of seven goals, eight assists and six steals.

Two first-years contributed to the win over GW, as Carmen Rosas ’19 and McKenna Miller ’19 scored three and two goals, respectively.

Goalie Marisol Dakan ’18 managed to make 12 saves in the first game of the day, limiting the Colonials to 12 goals.

Going into the second game with confidence from their first win, the Bears struggled in the first quarter against Bucknell, which ended in a 4-0 deficit for Bruno. But Brown bounced back to match the pace of the Bison: Both teams scored nine goals in the last three quarters.

But the Bears couldn’t make up for their slow start, and Bucknell’s 4-0 lead proved the difference in a defeat for Bruno.

Next weekend, the team will play two games at Princeton, one against the host No. 16 Tigers and another against No. 8 Michigan.

Softball

Brown finished a four-game weekend with a 3-1 record, sweeping Cornell for the first time since 2000 and splitting against Princeton. Katie Orona ’18 pitched a shutout in the first game against the Big Red, an 8-0 victory. Yeram Park ’18 finished the day 7-for-8, including a home run on a day when the Brown offense scored 16 total runs. Gina Chieffallo ’17 got the second win against the Big Red, with Leah Nakashima ’17 finishing the game in relief.

Princeton was no match for Orona and the Brown bats in the first game. Christina Andrews ’17 hit a three-run home run to solidify a 9-1 win for the Bears behind a one-run performance from Orona. The second game against the Tigers was the Bears’ lone loss of the weekend. Julia Schoenewald ’17 drove in the lone run for Brown in the 3-1 defeat.