Subscribe to The Brown Daily Herald Newsletter

Sign up for The Brown Daily Herald’s daily newsletter to stay up to date with what is happening at Brown and on College Hill no matter where you are right now!


Metro, University News

Cause of fire at 185 Angell electrical

Fire at off-campus house results in trips to hospital for men’s hockey player, two city firefighters

News Editor
Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The fire at an off-campus house at 185 Angell Street Thursday morning was caused by the electrical system, wrote Lindsay Lague, public information officer for the Providence Department of Safety.

The house is home to a number of players on the men’s hockey team, including Andrew Doane ’17, who received medical treatment Thursday for smoke inhalation. Two firefighters also suffered from minor injuries and were sent to the hospital, the Providence Journal reported.

The fire started at around 7 a.m. Thursday morning on the unoccupied first floor of the house and later spread to the adjacent house at 183 Angell Street, the Journal reported. Firefighters were still putting out the flames around 7:30 a.m.

In the aftermath of the fire, the University offered the house’s residents personal and academic support, wrote Mary Grace Almandrez and MaryLou McMillan, interim assistant vice presidents for campus life and student services, in an email to undergraduate students. The support includes housing and meals for the rest of the spring semester as well as clothing, technology and textbooks that may have been lost in the fire.

Residents of the house have declined to comment on the fire on the advice of legal counsel.

To stay up-to-date, subscribe to our daily newsletter.

Comments are closed.

Comments are closed. If you have corrections to submit, you can email The Herald at