Donate

Columns, Opinions

Johnson ’19: Empathy for Middlebury

Staff Columnist
Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Headlines about the visit of controversial libertarian and political scientist Charles Murray to Middlebury College March 2 were sensational and full of click-bait. The swirling media storm, which included titles such as “‘Bell Curve’ Author Attacked by Protesters at Middlebury College” and “How Middlebury College Enabled the Riot,” leaned toward harsh critiques of the student protesters. Many of those critiques are fair and can help create productive discourse between people with differing ideologies. But to progress toward that open and inclusive discourse, we need to develop a more nuanced view of the protests that does more than simply vilify the student protesters. We need to look at the incident with more empathy and respect toward the protesters’ deep-rooted and valid concerns. The prominent narratives in the media, however, fall short.

Critics of the Middlebury protesters depict the protest as uninformed because many of the protesters had not read Murray’s work. While that criticism is completely valid ­— we should never embrace anti-intellectualism — it was also a generalization: There were, in fact, students in the room who had read Murray’s material. Inspired by Middlebury Professor Matt Dickinson’s preliminary presentations on Murray’s most controversial book, “The Bell Curve: Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life,” students placed critical pamphlets on every chair in the hall.  That Middlebury lecture room should not be portrayed as an uninformed and disengaging crowd, even though there were some who refused to directly read Murray’s writing. And can protesters really be blamed from wanting to avoid reading Murray’s controversial and offensive material? It might have been a flawed way to engage in protest, but it is also understandable. The protesters were not just stereotypical coddled liberals promoting safe spaces and denying free speech; they were protesting the presentation of pseudoscientific white nationalism, which does not merit critical reading or analysis. As the Southern Poverty Law Center points out, “Bell Curve” proposes that differences in IQ are linked to race and genetics. This is an egregious theory. Instead of condemning the crowd as intellectual cowards, we should try to empathize with the justifiable anger of the protesters.

Another common narrative among critics is that physical resistance is a flawed means of protest. While students did not have the chance to personally debate with Murray in an open discussion, protesters had every right to assertively demonstrate and voice their opinion. Taking up space and making noise toward a speaker whose research has been used to support arguments that some humans are genetically inferior is warranted. The protest was an important means of questioning the decisions of the Middlebury administration. The event, while proposed by a student organization, expanded to include president and professor introductions — it occurred with the blessing of the college president. That deserves questioning, and not just through the “rhetorical resilience” that Middlebury administration promotes. Certainly the protest should not have devolved into violence and left Professor Allison Stanger with a serious injury, but the students weren’t in the wrong by choosing to protest.

Moreover, the mainstream media and social media posts painted a grisly picture of malicious Middlebury students. In reflecting on the event, Murray himself described the protest with hyperbolic and unnecessary language. He referred to the protesting audience as “intellectual thugs” and described “their eyes as crazed and their expressions as snarls.”   Stanger’s Facebook post, while completely understandable, also used language that inflated the narrative of violence. She claimed that the scene resembled a “Baghdad scene from Homeland” and students “had effectively dehumanized” her, yet did not mention that Murray’s work left many students feeling dehumanized as well. The violence was inexcusable, but depictions like these are counterproductive.

Finally, commentators claim that Middlebury students rejected an opportunity to expand their views, but the talk would hardly have done so. When reading the inflated defenses and criticisms of the Middlebury protests, I stumbled across the online quiz “Do you live in a bubble?” and took it. The quiz  was supposed to replicate an exercise from Murray’s book, “Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010” by evaluating superficial questions, such as beer preference and varsity letter awards, to predict your exposure to average “American mainstream culture.” The culture in the quiz of course excludes diverse experiences. By taking this quiz, I confronted Murray’s discourse, but do I believe that it was a productive or enlightening experience? Not at all. Murray’s ideas are based on such insular assumptions and poor reasoning that they don’t broaden perspectives — they simply propagate misinformation.

We should absolutely continue the dialogue on Middlebury and its implications for free speech in other colleges. We can learn from those events and make sure that our advocacy is more understanding and effective. Yet we also need to ensure that our discussion tackles the issue with more compassion and less judgment. The political atmosphere across the country is more contentious than ever before, and we can’t afford more sensational and inflammatory media projections than we already have.

Grace Johnson ’19 can be reached at grace_johnson@brown.edu. Please send responses to this opinion to letters@browndailyherald.com and other op-eds to opinions@browndailyherald.com.

1. Man with Axe says:

I disagree with you on two points that I think are at the heart of your argument.

You wrote: “‘Bell Curve’ proposes that differences in IQ are linked to race and genetics. This is an egregious theory.” What is so egregious about it? Of all the many attributes that human beings share, do you believe that every race has these attributes to the same degree? Are they all as good at sports? The same sports? Do they all share the same ability to sing? To do math? To run marathons? To run sprints? To play chess?

Maybe they do, and maybe they don’t. How would you know unless studies were done and you examined those studies?

And what if they do? Why is that egregious to point out what the studies seem to show? Maybe it would be helpful in designing public policy to know whether throwing a lot of societal resources at a particular inequality would stand a chance of paying off.

The only harm to come from Murray’s opinions, egregious though they may be, is that some persons are offended by them. Well, too bad. I’m offended by a lot of what I read. That’s called living in a free country.

You wrote: “…protesters had every right to assertively demonstrate and voice their opinion. Taking up space and making noise toward a speaker whose research has been used to support arguments that some humans are genetically inferior is warranted.” Just because you think arguments are “egregious” is not, in a civilized society, reason to use force to shut down that person’s speech. Hold up signs along the way to the speech. Hold your own event to offer a contrary opinion. Ask challenging questions during Q&A. But unless you are equally willing to have your own events shut down by protesters you are simply wrong to shut down someone else’s event. That’s the golden rule, and I find scant evidence that it is understood by these protesters and their defenders, you included.

2. The Most Equal says:

Two sentences on the attack of a professor (not even the one giving the talk), which lead to a concussion and hospitalization.

Six paragraphs on how college students shouldn’t have to listen to people who disagree with them.

If there’s anyone who needs a lecture on priorities, it’s you.

3. Grace,

I wonder where you fall on the bell curve.

Since you’re so smart – a Brown student and all that – how would you explain Jews exceptional intelligence, something that is provable over thousands of years?

For that matter how would you explain the superior intelligence shown by east Asians? No doubt you have a rationalization to explain these differences that is illogical but is acceptable at Orwellian institutions like Brown.

Comments are closed. If you have corrections to submit, you can email The Herald at herald@browndailyherald.com.