Sports Roundup, Oct. 22

Women’s Hockey

The women’s hockey team opened its season with a series sweep over College of the Holy Cross, earning a 3-1 win Friday and 4-0 shutout victory Saturday. The weekend was highlighted by clutch performances from goaltender Calla Isaac ’20, who recorded 32 saves for her first-career shutout, and forward Lizzy Gross ’22, who notched a hat trick to eclipse the Crusaders (0-5-2) Saturday.

Friday night, the Bears (2-0) brought their home rink to life as they made their 2018-19 debut at Meehan Auditorium. Fourteen minutes into the first period, forward Bridget Carey ’19 finished a rebound to give Bruno an early lead. Reilly Maeve scored for the Crusaders early in the second, but Jacquie Tam ’22 responded with her first career goal three minutes later. Sena Hanson ’20 cemented the victory late in the third by launching a shot top shelf past the shoulder of Holy Cross netminder Jada Brenon.

In the crease, Isaac made 24 saves. The Bears were clean on the penalty kill and fended off the Crusaders for the win. Bruno outshot Holy Cross 28-25.

The following day, the team travelled to Worcester, Mass., to complete the home-and-home series. Gross put the Bears on the board with a power play goal halfway through the first stanza. Carey followed six minutes later and found the back of the net straight after winning a faceoff. The following two periods saw goals from Gross, which included an unassisted tally in the third, to secure the sweep for Bruno. Forward Shay Maloney ’22 posted three assists for the evening, and the Bears killed off a total of seven penalties to preserve their clean slate.

Bruno will take the ice against the University of Connecticut at Meehan Auditorium Tuesday before opening conference play at Quinnipiac University Friday.

Men’s Water Polo

The No. 16 men’s water polo team (15-10, 4-2 NWPC) finished competition at the Julian Fraser Memorial Tournament Oct. 21 with an 11-3 win over No. 19 San Jose State University (6-12). The Bears completed the weekend with victories over San Jose State, Fresno Pacific University and No. 18 Loyola Marymount University and a single loss from No. 15 California Baptist University.

Travis Bouscaren ’19 led the team in points with three goals, and Riad Hallal ’21 led defensive efforts and made 12 saves in net.

Hudson Rawlings ’20 and Aidan Reilly ’21 also notched a pair of goals each to fuel the Bears to victory over the Spartans.

Brown will reopen conference play against Iona College and St. Francis College Brooklyn Oct. 28 at the Katherine Moran Coleman Aquatics Center. 

Men’s and Women’s Crew

The men’s crew team finished the 54th Head of Charles Regatta in third place in the men’s championship four with a time of 17:25.418 and championship eight events with a time of 15:07.230.

In the same competition, the women’s crew team finished seventh in the women’s championship four race with a time of 20:22.866. The squad posted an 11th place effort in the women’s championship eight with a time of 17:39.070.

Men’s crew will close out the fall season Nov. 10 at the Foot of the Charles after the women’s squad wraps up competition at the Princeton Chase Oct. 28.