News, University News

Campbell to serve as 2021 CGS Chair

Dean Campbell to lead national board’s work in improving graduate education

Friday, January 24, 2020

Nominated by fellow CGS board members, Dean Andrew Campbell will lead the Council of Graduate Schools, an organization of nearly 500 colleges and universities across North America.

The board of directors of the Council of Graduate Schools elected Graduate School Dean Andrew Campbell as its chair for 2021.

As chair, Campbell will lead the board’s programmatic work surrounding the evaluation and improvement of graduate education.

Campbell is entering his fourth year leading the Graduate School, and leads the Brown Initiative to Maximize Student Development — a National Institutes of Health-funded initiative dedicated to supporting and improving doctoral programs’ recruitment of students from historically underrepresented groups.

Campbell was nominated by fellow CGS board members during the organization’s annual December meeting. The CGS includes nearly 500 colleges and universities in North America engaged in graduate education and research. Throughout this year, Campbell will serve as chair-elect, learning under current Chair Dr. Sally Pratt of the University of Southern California. Campbell’s term as chair-elect will include learning about the board activities directed by the chair as well as the annual meeting that the chair oversees.

Katherine Hazelrigg, CGS assistant director of communications, said “CGS is the only national organization dedicated solely to the advancement of graduate education and research. Our mission is to improve and advance graduate education, and we do that through advocacy and federal policy research.”

In his new role, Campbell will meet and work with leaders from a broad array of universities across the nation. Moreover, Campbell believes that learning about other schools’ successes and challenges will enhance his role at Brown, he wrote in an email to The Herald. “Being a part of the CGS helps contextualize [graduate student] experiences with other schools across the country to promote change when it’s needed,” he added.

“The needs and expectations of graduate students continue to evolve,” Campbell wrote. “As part of the CGS board, we want to be instrumental in the development of graduate students as future leaders, educators and researchers in diverse fields. I hope to help lead continuous improvements in graduate education here at Brown and across the country.”

Correction: A previous version of this article stated that Dean Campbell will serve as 2021 UGS chair in its headline and caption. In fact, Dean Campbell will serve as the 2021 CGS chair. The article also stated that Campbell will meet and work with leaders from a broad array of universities across the nation and the world. In fact, Campbell will meet and work with leaders from a broad array of universities across the nation. The Herald regrets the errors.