RUE student travels path from Soviet Army to College Hill

On the brink of nuclear catastrophe, RUE student and former Soviet army sergeant Peter Rosenthal '07 decided his life needed a change.

While stationed in Berlin during the late 1980s, Rosenthal served under a wing of the military known as the Soviet Nuclear Missile Force. Rosenthal's unit was classified daily as "standby for launch." If his unit had received orders to fire from the Kremlin, "there would be no Europe," Rosenthal said.

At one point, Rosenthal was involved in a harrowing standoff in which his unit was on the verge of a launch.

"During those 20 minutes, I reconsidered many things," Rosenthal said. "I was in the middle of political games that were so pointless."

Motivated to "contribute to humanity" and pursue his lifelong goal of becoming a physician, Rosenthal left the military during the collapse of the U.S.S.R.

Rosenthal lingered in St. Petersburg for some time, searching for work. Originally from Moldova, a country that at the time was breaking away from the Soviet Union, Rosenthal was persecuted for being a foreign national.

At the suggestion of an American English teacher living in St. Petersburg, Rosenthal contacted Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt. With Leahy's help, Rosenthal immigrated to the United States and studied English and science at a number of colleges from Florida to California. At one point, Rosenthal studied at Berea College in Kentucky, a college founded in part for students who are struggling financially.

Despite his struggle, Rosenthal found his new life exhilarating. "The U.S. is truly the land of opportunity. There was an excitement and euphoria I would get knowing that I could make a difference," he said.

After initially applying to Brown, Rosenthal was rejected by the RUE program.

Determined, he continued his education. Working alone through winter break one year, Rosenthal synthesized a new molecule that never before existed. Today his molecule, a compound with trans-cellular membrane capabilities, is still being studied for its medicinal potential in the battle against cancer.

Reapplying to Brown shortly thereafter, Rosenthal was accepted by the RUE program and has pursued a premed concentration. "I'm proud to be surrounded by people who have the strength to be passionate and giving despite the terrible things that have happened to them," Rosenthal said.

Rosenthal cites Brown's flexibility and support as the key to his success during some personally tumultuous years.

"I don't have enough words in my English vocabulary to thank Brown," Rosenthal said.