News in Brief

Peter Pan offers $5 bus fare to Boston

For those students unwilling to pay the MBTA commuter rail fare from Providence to Boston, which rose to $7.75 at the beginning of the year, Peter Pan Bus Lines now offers a less expensive travel option.

Every Saturday and Sunday, the company will now charge $5 for a one-way ticket from the corner of Brook Street and Power Street to Boston's South Station or Logan Airport. For a limited time, Peter Pan will also sell steeply discounted packages of weekday tickets.

The bus trip from Providence to Boston takes approximately 55 minutes, compared to 63 minutes on the commuter rail. Peter Pan offers at least hourly service to Boston.

mtvU acquires RateMyProfessors.com

On Jan. 17, mtvU, MTV's network specifically for college students, purchased RateMyProfessors.com, a Web site that allows college students to write critiques of their professors for the benefit of their peers. Brown students have used the site to rate a total of 444 University professors in 41 departments. The site contains 6.6 million ratings of over 900,000 professors.

According to MTV, mtvU's acquisition of RateMyProfessors.com, which is expected to take place formally in early 2007, will make mtvU's platform the second-most trafficked set of general interest college-focused Web sites on the Internet. The mtvU network is already broadcast to 750 colleges and universities nationwide, for a total enrollment of 7.2 million students.